Thread: Replaced 6.5

Default Replaced 6.5

changed out engine in 95 suburban bleed out fuel system. Got it started, now runs up to 2500 + RPM the back to almost nothing, cycles like this, no throttle response. Any help would be welcome.

What did you change out? Just the block? Or a full engine? Was it from the same year? Need a few more details...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Changed out the whole engine with a used one took most of the parts off the one my son blew (knocking Bad in block) did not change out ejection pump just the filter

it's a 95 and yes the engine is a match for this suburban

may have answered my own question probably need to change out the ejectors and the ejector pump assembly too along with its hardware and try again.

What was wrong with the original engine? If it was ’95 to ’95 and same series (1500 to 1500, 2500 to 2500, etc) and same transmission, then there won’t be an computer issues.

If there wasn’t any issue with the fuel delivery that would have junked things up, then the injection pump and injectors wouldn’t likely be the worse for wear. But there is some possibility that you may have dislodged some gunk that is messing them up.

I’d start by going over all the injector lines and return lines. More of a chance that you got something kinked or have a leak than that the injectors or pump are bad.
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Thanks, did not change out the injector pump, lines ect. from the original motor to the (new) used motor and who knows what the it one went through just have a guaranty long block which arears to be good, should have changed out all the fuel components when they were both out, in the process now will let you know once change if I am still having problems.

Knocking in the block, have not full investigated, hope it can be rebuilt so I have an excuse to build up a power house for the boys rig, little does he know.

If the donor engine had been pulled, sat, and the injection system had not been guaranteed then there is a chance that it was damaged either prior to removal or during removal.
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Yep! changed fuel ejector pump out today it running great this was an awesome 2 week vacation now to tinker with the blown motor over the next few months.

Default Blown motor

So now that we got the rig back on the road I have taken the oil pan off the blown engine. Back piston rod broke at the crank on one of the bolts. crank looks good. at bearing race. what do you thing over haul the whole engine of just replace the rod and bearing? then sale the long block to some one who needs a engine for their rig.