Thread: Battery life

Arrow

How long of a life have can one expect out of their batteries in their diesel pick-up? My truck sits quite a bit these days, and one time last winter when I went to start it, the batteries were dead. It has been taking longer to start lately (like cranking for 5 seconds), when it used to start right up with just barely a turn of the key. I replaced both batteries in the summer of '98, so the batteries are now 5 years or so old.
    1993 K2500 133,000mi,<br />4.10 gears, 4L80E, 3.5\" exhaust, EGT& Boost gages, intercooler, TurboMaster, no snorkel, Amsoil air filter.

Turbo Al Guest

Smile

Scott, my 1993 has been sitting since I bought the 2001 and I TRY to start it once a month. Both batteries went dead and would not hold a charge. I checked them with a Hydrometer and found the acid very weak -- almost to the point of being water. I drained and refilled them with new acid and one revived and the other still would not hold a charge. My truck starts fine with just the one battery. They are at least 5 years old now.

I had some bad luck with the Delco battery's that came with the truck, one replaced under warranty at 30 months, less than a year later it leaked acid all over the front of the engine compartment. (no waranty, as it was installed under the 36,000-36 month vehicle warranty!!) I had my fill with the Delco brand, and now have Walmarts best for a few years now. (better warranty-less cost)
    I think that 5 years is about it for any battery. A low battery will damage the starter. Battery's are cheaper. Just my opinion.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

CleviteKid Guest

Arrow

Don't forget the battery terminal connections, and the connection at the starter. Loosening connections and a little corrosion can give these symptoms. Have you changed out GM's lousy little side terminal bolts for a real bolt, such as described at:
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/batterm.htm ?

This modification has helped HUNDREDS of members.

Dr. Lee

britannic Guest

Talking

The traditional liquid acid and lead plate/paste batteries will start despositing sulphate on the internal plates without a regular charge, weakening the sulphuric acid solution in the process and eventually leading to a dead and unrevivable door-stop .

[ 07-30-2003, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: britannic ]

Actually the truth is sometimes if sulfate builds and it wont take a charge just leave it on longer. Eventually the charge will break down the sulfate and revive the battery. You'd be suprised.
    _ _ <br />1995 Chevy Crew Cab Dooley 6.5L Turbo Diesel (Under 1000 miles)<br /><br />TurboMaster set at 14lbs of boost<br />Heath Boost Gauge Kit<br />Spearco (BIG) Intercooler<br />Home made relocated PMD<br />Lots of cosmetic stuff