Thread: Can I build my own exhaust system?

Question

I have a 1993 Chev 4x4 regular cab 6.5 diesel pickup and i am looking to add a 4" exhaust most kits i see to buy have 3" downpipe and 4" cat back...well my truck does not have a catalytic converter so do i need to buy just the downpipe and have someone makeup a system from 4" pipe or i dunno anyone familiar with this exhaust system? i need some ideas thanks..

P.S. just seems that cat kits and downpipes are expensive in Canada about $1000cdn minus installation.

thanks,
    Shaun

Right now I have the stock downpipe(not for long I hope) and have 3 inch straight pipe installed for $280 cdn with a 3" Stainless turndown... Just look around ...There is a local shop that is looking at getting a 4 inch mandrel bender I am trying to push him into getting it and making up an installtion kit for 4 inch that I would market for him...
    1995 GMC 2500LD,6.5L TD,Ext cab, SB,4L80E,3.73,Heath Chip, Turbomaster,Hayden fan clutch, 3\" exhaust,K&N filter,Aux Fuel tank, High Idle,Remote Start,Homemade headlight booster,2 inch suspension lift,285/75r16 wrangler at/s. p_holmen@hotmail.com

markelectric Guest

Go to your local shop and ask for help. A 4" tailpipe from a powerjoke will fit. The muffler just needs to be straight thru. A piece of straight pipe will get you to the downpipe, although you may have to hammer a couple of dents into it to clear a frame member or two. A local shop helped me with the parts, for about 300.00 US total and a couple of hours of my time. Being an old fart, if I was to do it again I would get a more quiet muffler......

Heath diesel is selling a complete kit for your truck at 379$US. It is a 3" kit however, but it is from turbo to tailpipe.

You can buy the turbo down pipe (145$ from Heath) and than continue the work with a pipe, muffler and tailpipe, either yourself or by a shop.

I just made my own exhaust for my Savana. I used a 4" tailpipe made for a Ford Powerstroke by Walker Dynomax (about 75$Can). There is much less space on a van like mine than a pickup. I had to modify it to fit. As said by "Markelectric", it should fit perfect on your truck.

I used a quiet Donaldson muffler that has a 3.5" inlet and 4" outlet. End result is quite nice and the performance gain is there.

Where are you in Canada?
    Richard Lajoie
    2001 GMC Savana 3500 SLE 6.5 TD - 15 passenger (the way to go with 7 children)
    3" to 3.5" to 4" custom exhaust, 3.73 diff.
    Amsoil 5W30 HDD, synthetic media oil filter
    Amsoil air filter
    1987 Suburban 6.2 test vehicule

what year of powerstroke diesel tailpipe would i be looking for? i am in ontario canada

Use Walker Dynomax #55102 for '99-'02 Powerstroke. Walker is a widely avalaible exhaust system brand. You can use there high performance 4" muffler too if this is what you look for (#22572).

The tail pipe may need you to put an extension, as it is made to be used with an expensive chromed tip. I had to put an 8" extension on mine.
    Richard Lajoie
    Amsoil air filter

Question

what is the largest difference if any if i decided to go to a 3" turbo back system as opposed to say a 3" downpipe to 4" back exhaust system? any ideas or is it really a big difference?

markelectric Guest

I have a 3 on one and a 4 on another. No question about the different feel.Especially with a load.

The 3" is said to be OK if you have a stock engine. But the muffler needs to be straight trough, and the pipes mandrel bent. It is better to go to a minimum of 3.5" if the engine is modified (or will be...) for higher horsepower.

If you tow or use the engine power a lot, the larger exhaust will give you some more.
    Richard Lajoie
    Amsoil air filter

markelectric can you tell me more about your exhaust system setup with your ford tailpipe and 4" straightpipe and what not would like to hear your opinion on it all thanks

Shaun

I haven't read of this post competely but, there are several sites on the web that provides CAT back systems that are some times less in price.

I installed JK system and did not use the down tube because there were no dents in the factory down tube and my truck came with a CAT which is not required in TEXAS.

Now there is a connection that will allow me to disconnect the exhaust from the engine by removeing four bolts.

If you would be interested the down pipe is for sale.

Thaks
    Late 96 C2500 HO with factory 97 upgrades.<p>4:10 locker

'94-up down pipe is not the same as '92-'93.
    Richard Lajoie
    Amsoil air filter

WAPATI I may be interested in the downpipe you have. Is it 3 inch"?? I am correct in saying that is goes from the turbo right to that bolt flange? Does is include the flange??
    1995 GMC 2500LD,6.5L TD,Ext cab, SB,4L80E,3.73,Heath Chip, Turbomaster,Hayden fan clutch, 3\" exhaust,K&N filter,Aux Fuel tank, High Idle,Remote Start,Homemade headlight booster,2 inch suspension lift,285/75r16 wrangler at/s. p_holmen@hotmail.com

Smile

Phil,

I'm not sure as to what you are calling a flange.

Where the down pipe engages with the exhaust the pipe is expanded to fit onto the exhaust header.

The clamp that grips the down pipe has a lever that can be moved to make the clamp open.

That is how the down pipe attaches to the system.

Thanks

I mean the flange that has the four bolts in it at the bottom of the downpipe...sorry 'bout the confusion...

you will find the best deal on a down pipe and crossover kit from summit raceing and they have a 3 1/2" universal 4pc tail pipe kit that will fit nicely also. These are mandrell bent made by Flowmaster. for PN's and$$ call summit 1-800-230-3030

The down pipe I have is designed to go past that flange and is three iInches.

It is long enough to go past the CAT if you have one.

It could be welded to three inch pipes and/or stepped up to 3.5 or 4 inch.

It's my understanding that going to 4 inch doesn't help very much.

That's why I went with 3.5.

Hope this helps.