Thread: 1995 Diesel 6.5 engine upper fuel filter leak

Default 1995 Diesel 6.5 engine upper fuel filter leak

I have a fuel leak at or at the upper fuel filter. It could be on the supply line or return line to the fuel pump or at the supply line to the injector pump. I can only remove the supply and return lines and the filter canister to find the leak. Big job removing supply and return lines and the filter canister.

Welcome to TDP

There is one filter on the 95 6.5 and it is behind the top of the intake manifold center section in the engine valley.

These can and do leak from the bottom of the housing due to failure of the fuel heater assembly portion of the assembly.

Is the fuel leaking out and dripping on the ground under the rig ???

The best/easiest fix is a new assembly, or if you don't mind a bit of work you can make a bracket and install a Racor unit with a spin on filter and visible water bowl with drain.

A factory unit will connect right up.

On a 95 you can quickly prime and bleed the air from a new filter by turning the key ON (ENGINE OFF) then place tranny selector in D and then turn the key to the start position.

Do not start engine.

With the key in on and selector in D the lift pump will run and feed fuel to the filter.

Bleed the air out at the filter or remove the larger fuel line from the IP and pump fuel into a container until it is air free.

Reconnect and good to go.

(1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I had a chronic problem with leaks after the filters went away from the filter separate from the securing ring. I finally solved it by scavenging a gasket ring from a replaced filter, and adding it. Problem solved.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.