Thread: Kodiak steering gear.

Default Kodiak steering gear.

Can I adjust the steering gear play on my 2008 Seneca/Kodiak without disconnecting the pitman arm, or any other parts? If so, what's the procedure and, or, specks?

I have close to 25 degrees of play in the input shaft with the hood open and standing there with my hand around the shaft. That's without the engine running, but IIRC, it doesn't change with power on.

The Seneca is not noted for being the best tracking vehicle on the road, by any means and sooner, or later, I'll be diving into sway bars, track bars, ultra shocks and whatever else Seneca owners with experience have done to improve handling. But, for right now, getting the play and preload tightened up (if possible) is gonna be a good start.

Thanks, DW.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

No responses? I see there have been viewers. Ain't nobody out there with a 5500 chassis who has experience with the sloppy steering? I'll take advice from anyone who has fooled with any unit that's larger than a 3500. I'm about ready to dive in and experiment with it based on what I did with my Sierra.

Meanwhile, I keep on reading about other's experience with these Senecas and note that one of the first things to do is put in a front anti-roll bar. There are rectangular boxes for that under the front of the bottom leaf, but I've yet to access a picture of how the bar(s) are mounted. I've read that GM put a bar there as a RPO, but Jayco deleted it! Mine has a rear bar, mounted in front of the axle, but it sounds like the after-market bar, mounted to the rear, and retaining the stock bar, is a good way to go in eliminating a lot of that wallowing.

Been a long time since there was discussion in the MD forum. I was hoping this would start some chatter. Thanks for listening.

DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Crickets.......
    I got nothing man!
    Sorry!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Had to go back and dig this one up out of the dregs.

Found out some things about the Kodiak. First, the Saginaw steering gear in the Kodiak (that I have) is not adjustable.

Since it's a known factor, now that I've put about 7K on it, I've decided to do something about the handling. To date, that includes ordering up an HD steering stabilizer, a set of Sumo Springs for the front-end, that replace the jounce bumpers, a stabilizer bar for the front, a set of Air Ride bags for the rear, and a rear track bar. Still to be added at some future time, are Koni's, or Bilsteins, all around, an additional stabilizer bar for the rear, and a track bar for the front. Any advice about the Koni vs. Bilsteins?

So far, the air bags for the rear are the only thing to arrive, and I'm having a great time installing them. Only taking me about 4X the time it would take someone that is 1/4'th my age! The fact that the bags are built to fit either a medium-duty Ford or Chevy, is one of the hold-ups. The hole pattern for the main bracket is, indeed, the same. But, the bolts (for the jounce bumpers) that need to be removed to make room for the bag brackets, are 1/2 inch rivets on a Chevy! All well located to deliberately frustrate the installer. Drill, grind, chisel, till I'm blue in the face. And, to think that there was a time when I actually thought I enjoyed such things.

Ah, well, still anxious to find out if the handling gets better. Couple of weeks till Texas time.

Dick,
    Sorry we're "No value added" here with this issue...
    Keep us in the loop though...and have a safe trip down south!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Too bad that there aren't more medium duty GM's out there. I think that over all, I'm going to like the Seneca. It's a pretty much "high end" and heavy duty unit, for a class "C".

The last few days of crawling around under this monster has brought out a new familiarity with every muscle and pressure-spot in this old body! The MH sits on a concrete slab, and the creeper is just 3" of less clearance that I can't afford. So, I deal with the bruises and gouges. Removing 8 half-inch diameter rivets from flat on your back and offset to negate any direct action from a drill, or grinder, just makes life really interesting. Thank goodness that both snubber mounts are on the ground and both air bag assemblies are sitting on top of the springs, with the bolts all in. Anything else that's left to be done, is bound to be a cakewalk, compared to what I've recently endured. That includes one left thumb nail being cracked, across the width, except for a scant 1/8", and still oozing blood, though the thumping, with each heartbeat has stopped. I simply said SSPP, sucking air through my teeth. Yep, that was what I said.

Dick,
    I'm not familiar with this "SSPP" form of profanity....
    I consider myself a "Master-Tech" in the Automotive Profanity category!
    Sorry to hear about your thumb though I'm glad you're over the hump.
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

SSPP is a deliberate misspelling of the Worlds most used, usable and appropriate word for almost any occasion, (also most any object, or substance) good, or bad. Quite honestly, SSPP is a shortened version of what I've been doing for almost 78 years, now, when I get injured. A long SSSSSSSSSS (sucking air through my teeth), and finishing up by slamming my lips together (P), and, with enough air in my lungs to expel that handy expletive with much more gusto. Within seconds, one just must pick up the damned hammer, ignore the shaking, throbbing, digit, and "get right back on the horse". You crawl out from under the MH immediately, and you probably won't go back there for at least a day. I assume that Y'all have been there?

Default Warning, the following post is not intended to offend any Asperger syndrome sufferers

Dick,
    Been there plenty (more than enough) but I guess I just don't shut my mouth in time so the full word comes out followed by a continuous eloquent stream of profanity that would make an Asperger syndrome patient proud and that I am immediately sorry for.....
    Dave,

Yes, I am insensitive....Deal with it!
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Talking

I don't get on the page much anymore but was browsing. As you can see from my sig that I own a C5500 35GS Seneca. I only have 54K on it so just broke in. What I did was air bags and Super Springs with Bilsteins. The bags helped but still needed more support in the rear. The Super Springs raised the tail enough to put more weight on the front axel. That alone improved the handling. There is more that can be done to improve load and road handling such as track and sway bars. On the 06 model the rear springs were 15500s which would allow the rear to ride low when road loaded. The bags raised the rear a bit but not enough. The Super Springs gave enough more clearance to move the CG more fwd to improve handling and steering. On those early years 06-07 could have the springs upgraded by Moreryde to 19500s which eliminated the need for Super Springs. Unfortunately that ship has sailed for the 06-07 Seneca.
    Best Regards
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.