Thread: Update on our Colorado and towing with it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Would be an interesting read on comparing those two diesels. Here is what I found Cummins R 2.8 crate engine has 161 hp and 267 ft pound of torque An M.S.R.P. of $8,999. "Ouch" And Cummins only offers a 90 day warranty on their engine and components.
    Duramax 2.8 has 181 hp and 369 ft pound of torque. That surprised me.
    Last edited by cowboywildbill; 12-25-2017 at 16:56.

FourWheeler magazine has been doing a series of articles on the R2.8 including one to swap it into a Jeep and a roadtrip with several R2.8 powered vehicles. Unfortunately, they’re not reporting any “numbers” information yet other than some “guestimated” mileage numbers in the mid-twenties.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    FourWheeler magazine has been doing a series of articles on the R2.8 including one to swap it into a Jeep and a roadtrip with several R2.8 powered vehicles. Unfortunately, they’re not reporting any “numbers” information yet other than some “guestimated” mileage numbers in the mid-twenties.
    I would be interested in their mpg numbers also.
    The problem with trying to figure out the economy of the cummins 2.8 is that it isn't designed for any particular vehicle. So everything from weight to gear ratios and such of the vehicle it is planted in would be a factor. I would think that with the right application it would get great mpg.

Plus, it is more likely to go into non-stock vehicles - where everything from weight to gear ratios to tire size to aerodynamics aren’t likely to be selected for best mileage, so it is not like comparing a mid-sized offering from Nissan with a mid-sized offering from GM.

Now, the roadtrip article did have a moderate Jeep Wrangler and a Nissan Frontier with R2.8s in them and a Colorado Duramax 2.8 along, so perhaps Cummins will be giving some comparative numbers at some point.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

One thing in it's favor, I don't think it uses a Cat or DPF. Not sure though. But not having those could help with economy.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboywildbill View Post
    One thing in it's favor, I don't think it uses a Cat or DPF. Not sure though. But not having those could help with economy.
    Not sure if economy has anything to do with it. At 9 grand, you would have to put on a pile of miles to justify the conversion. Suggest you would have to have another reason to do the conversion.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Default New to the colorado

I have had mine for about two weeks now. its impressive so far. I drive 86 miles one way to work and its averaging 28 MPG. not bad for a 4X4 truck. its a 2016 Z71 Colorado crew cab. I was driving a VW TDI Jetta that got 47 MPG until the wood goat (DEER) couldn't wait to cross the road. I have a 05 LLY Crew cab 4X4 dually that is still my favorite truck. Both are black. I have questions and will be back on later. Looking for transmission upgrades or tunes. and would like to add 33" tires and a really strong deer proof front bumper.