Quote Originally Posted by jay_0283 View Post
i do plan on dropping the tank and cleaning it, but it will be much easier to do if the tank isn't right full. I want to use up some of the fuel to make it easier to drop.
It's fine, using the fuel to make the tank lighter. Use it in anything but an automotive-grade vehicle. It is fouled enough to bring you to a screeching halt (and lead you here). Old tractors and steam cleaners digest that junk with relish. Not so much your (relatively) late model precision machine. It has one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel, currently. It doesn't need a nudge.

Keep in mind. Diesel fuel is a liquid. Contaminated Diesel fuel may not be only contaminated with solids. Solids in Diesel fuel aren't always able to separate out of the liquid, and these solid contaminates do not always remain solid, nor do they remain in their original state. Stinky gasoline is still liquid, but will kill a carb in short order. Petroleum products, to include fuel oil and gasoline, are solvents. Doing their proper duty, they will cause differing properties to suspend within their chemical structure, often compounding with them to result a different chemical. This product is not healthy to your vehicle.

Factor the cost of the fuel in the tank (and the time and labor to remove and dispose), with the cost of new LP, IP, injectors, additional filters, cat (or soot trap, if it has either, and you are required by law to maintain), towing expenses, lost time (from work, additional system cleaning and filter changes, whatever), and up to and including a complete overhaul of your now-otherwise-healthy engine. The likelihood of failure increases exponentially as more of that junk passes through the system.

Either remove a heavy(ier) fuel tank, or remove the fuel prior to tank removal. The difficulty of this falls well short of the difficulty, inconvenience and expense of any alternative. There are a lot of wrong things to do with this. Driving it to make your tank lighter is first on the list of taboos.

If it sounds like I'm preaching, perhaps so. But I won't preach you wrong.