Thread: Trans cooler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Trans cooler

Hello, The trans in my 95 k3500 runs border line hot when towing, about 240. My water temp gets up there too, ordered a radiator today. It has all the 2000 6.5 cooling stuff on it with a new fan clutch.

I noticed that there is a trans cooler right behind the grille, looks factory, but trans oil don't go into cooler in radiator. Is that the normal setup?

I bought a cooling fan that is made to go in front of condenser on left side, but the trans cooler is mounted there so no place for the fan.

Engine oil cooler is on the right side, also no engine oil cooler in radiator.

My thinking is the hot trans oil in radiator cooler would make the engine cooling more of a problem. I am thinking of adding another trans cooler.

Tom
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

Is there any dirt and trash between the stack?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Generally, electric auxiliary cooling fans do more harm than good by blocking airflow. And, they aren't needed if everything else is OK.

Remove the top half of the fan shroud, and look between the radiator and A/C condenser. See any accumulation of leaves or airflow blocking stuff?

Does your fan-clutch ever engage. The roar is unmistakable. Should happen between stoplights in town on a hot day, or anytime engine coolant temp exceeds 210.

If your radiator is original to the truck, it likely needs to be replaced or at least serviced (cleaned and flushed on the inside and outside). The plastic end-tanks are removed/replaced during a service.

Jim

The oil cooler that is divorced from the radiator is a standard set up on some rigs
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I have the new radiator in. I washed out the condenser and oil coolers. They were pretty clean anyway. I need to hook it to my trailer to see if its better, hot and muggy here so it will be a good test.
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

New radiator helped. Trans temp still goes way up. I got a new filter for trans today, have not changed it yet though.

On a 95 will hi trans temps cause it do defuel?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 94GMC2500; 06-28-2018 at 13:55.