Thread: 6.5 dual stat cooling upgrades back in stock!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 6.5 dual stat cooling upgrades back in stock!

Just like the title says, we now have the kits on the shelf once again. There are some "out in left field" vendors out there who seem to think that a single stat and restricting the bypass is the answer, but I'll say it point blank nothing could be further from the truth.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I have also advised several people (who have asked me) to avoid the bypass restrictor that is out there. This is a horribly bad idea.

These clowns with the ANTI DUAL STAT BS have got to be Smoking something...

I agree 100% with John and RJ...

The better coolant flow with the dual stat setup is likely the single most beneficial change in the 6.5 cooling system ever made. (PLUS THE HO PUMP)

The new heads produced by AMG are certainly a game changer when it comes to having better flow in the heads.
    When I built the last engine for the Dahoooooley I used an AMG block and AMG heads and then reused the single stat xover and the standard pump (Pump was new)

The rest of the cooling system was fresh. The AMG engine has always ran much cooler than the GM iron ever did..
    GOTTA BE THE FLOW THROUGH THE CASTING ?????
    Last edited by Robyn; 09-22-2018 at 05:45.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Yea once my P400 is done I will be looking into this more...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    There are some "out in left field" vendors out there who seem to think that a single stat and restricting the bypass is the answer
    Yet I'll pretty much guarantee that not a single one of them feels that downsizing your exhaust is the answer to better performance. You know, by the same reasoning, holding the exhaust in the engine longer should make more power, shouldn't it?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

There has been lottsa snake oil fixes for the 6.5 and nearly all of them are worthless wastes of time and $$$$$

The 6.5 has always been a problem child when it comes to keeping the temp in check in hot weather and when the rig is worked hard.

Every truck we have had here has to some extent been fussy in hot weather, even when new.

The best fix was to get the fan clutch working before the coolant was at 230 F and then the beast was OK.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    The 6.5 has always been a problem child when it comes to keeping the temp in check in hot weather and when the rig is worked hard.

Every truck we have had here has to some extent been fussy in hot weather, even when new.
    With the dual thermostats, HO water pump, modified fan clutch, and all-aluminum radiator, I finally feel comfortable when towing and no longer have to keep my eyes glued on the temperature gauge. I still have to back off the throttle some on mountain passes, but now the engine stays pretty much a constant temperature under load: right in the middle of the gauge.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Pretty much how it's done.

Why did GM release these trucks with such a sketchy cooling system ????

Even the New 6.5 rigs I have had were marginal in the hot weather...
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Why did GM release these trucks with such a sketchy cooling system ????
    Bean Counters R the Devil.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    With the dual thermostats, HO water pump, modified fan clutch, and all-aluminum radiator, I finally feel comfortable when towing and no longer have to keep my eyes glued on the temperature gauge. I still have to back off the throttle some on mountain passes, but now the engine stays pretty much a constant temperature under load: right in the middle of the gauge.

Casey
    A better turbocharger is the final piece of the engine cooling puzzle.

All of the cooling system upgrades promoted here through the years did solve the engine temperature problems, but only a better turbo can reduce EGT (which indirectly affects ECT in a max power setting).

Try a Holset HX-35 (1994-98 Dodge Cummins app) for a step up from the GM-x series turbos or install a Holset HX-40 for a more dedicated heavy hauler.