Thread: Help needed from Sweden

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Mike. So sorry you are having so many issues with your truck. I have faced many of the same problems as you have, in the 20 years that I have had my two 6.5 diesels. One big plus for me was when I bought the dignostic package from Enghs Motor, right there in Sweden. You can get the laptop computer hookup and download the program, then see all kinds of things going on with your codes and injection pump. After I hooked up my computer, I found out my stepper motor was not working, so I bought one or two parts pumps off Ebay and used the parts to fix mine. You get the shutoff solenoid and the fuel sensor light too. I paid about Can$100 each for the pumps. When my 94 one ton vacuum pump quit working, a diesel mechanic said to move the drive belt from the inside of the pulley, to the outside and it has worked well since then. I also greased the cam inside the pump. I have put several starters on, as well as alternators. Make sure your harmonic balancer is good, with not much flexing of the rubber, or it will break the crank. I have had issues with cracked blocks as well, but fixed that with a Hummvee takeout from Ted's Trucks and Stuff. You might have better luck with yours in the long run. Some over here in Alberta, Canada have gone over 600,000 km with regular service.
    Last edited by Stromsky; 05-10-2019 at 21:50.
    1994 K3500 Chev 6.5 TD, 4L80E, 4:10.
    1994 2500 Chev 6.5 TD Suburban, needs engine and trans work.
    1996 Newmar Mountain Aire motorhome, 8.3 Cummins TD, with 3 cyl.
    Kubota diesel geny.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromsky View Post
    Hi Mike. So sorry you are having so many issues with your truck. I have faced many of the same problems as you have, in the 20 years that I have had my two 6.5 diesels. One big plus for me was when I bought the dignostic package from Enghs Motor, right there in Sweden. You can get the laptop computer hookup and download the program, then see all kinds of things going on with your codes and injection pump. After I hooked up my computer, I found out my stepper motor was not working, so I bought one or two parts pumps off Ebay and used the parts to fix mine. You get the shutoff solenoid and the fuel sensor light too. I paid about Can$100 each for the pumps. When my 94 one ton vacuum pump quit working, a diesel mechanic said to move the drive belt from the inside of the pulley, to the outside and it has worked well since then. I also greased the cam inside the pump. I have put several starters on, as well as alternators. Make sure your harmonic balancer is good, with not much flexing of the rubber, or it will break the crank. I have had issues with cracked blocks as well, but fixed that with a Hummvee takeout from Ted's Trucks and Stuff. You might have better luck with yours in the long run. Some over here in Alberta, Canada have gone over 600,000 km with regular service.
    Hi there Canada.
    Yeah, I know about Enghs Motor, there located in circa 80 km from me, and I have there chip i my truck. Ive been thinking of buying the software and cable and I probably need it, but Im not sure that its worth almost $200 for something I maybe use just once.

Lets split this up so I dont miss anything.
    1.Could you please tell me moore of this belt on the outside thing, and why would I do that ?
    2. Ive been looking for a new stepper motor for my ip but not found any, and since that the axel thats suppose to move doesnt move, Im not sure that it would help anyway.
    3. My harmonic balancer, sealer, and the inner wheel is brand new, but yesterday I discovered that the harmonic balancer is wobbling. When I checked it it seems to being loose in the joint between the rubber and outer ring, so I suppose that its a defect one and I need to change it.
    4. So far Ive spended like $ 2-2,500 in different parts, but Ive killed a lot of codes and the engine works pretty good. Now its everything under the floor left, but thats done in an afternoon.... (not)

Quote Originally Posted by FunLight View Post
    Hi there Canada.
    Yeah, I know about Enghs Motor, there located in circa 80 km from me, and I have there chip i my truck. Ive been thinking of buying the software and cable and I probably need it, but Im not sure that its worth almost $200 for something I maybe use just once.

Lets split this up so I dont miss anything.
    1.Could you please tell me moore of this belt on the outside thing, and why would I do that ?
    2. Ive been looking for a new stepper motor for my ip but not found any, and since that the axel thats suppose to move doesnt move, Im not sure that it would help anyway.
    3. My harmonic balancer, sealer, and the inner wheel is brand new, but yesterday I discovered that the harmonic balancer is wobbling. When I checked it it seems to being loose in the joint between the rubber and outer ring, so I suppose that its a defect one and I need to change it.
    4. So far Ive spended like $ 2-2,500 in different parts, but Ive killed a lot of codes and the engine works pretty good. Now its everything under the floor left, but thats done in an afternoon.... (not)
    If your harmonic balancer is wobbling then you seriously need to change it out as soon as possible. Probably shouldn’t even drive it until it gets changed because it just ain’t worth the risk of a broken crank.
    2000 6.5 Chevrolet K3500 Longbed 4 Door, 4L80E, Turbo Master, Gooseneck Hitch, 300,000 miles original engine

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryd View Post
    If your harmonic balancer is wobbling then you seriously need to change it out as soon as possible. Probably shouldn’t even drive it until it gets changed because it just ain’t worth the risk of a broken crank.
    The outer ring where the belt rides on my balancer was moving sideways so it started to wobbling. I dont know why it could move at all, but the seller agreed that it must be some kind of fabrication error and changed it without diskussion.

However, this truck will be my ruin. As soon as I fix one thing the next one pops up right away.
    It have been stalled now and then, but yesterday it decided to give up and the trip home from the store that ordinary takes a couple of minutes was taking 40 minutes. The truck stalled after 5-10 seconds, and would not start again for at least a couple of minutes.

So, 10 sec drive and two minutes waiting, 10 sec drive and wait again.
    My truck was very cheep during those 40 minutes, so after a serch on the forum I found out that it should be a faulty PMD, and 5 minutes later I had around 400 dollar less on my account, and a new PMD kit was ordered.

Its amazing what we do for our trucks.

Don't be confused by the two components mounted on the front end of the crank shaft. One is the harmonic balancer (or torsional damper), the other is the accessory drive pulley.

The damper is critical. It is mounted closest to the timing cover. These can fail when the rubber damper ring ages.

The pulley, mounted to the front of the balancer, also has rubber damping. This is to increase belt life. These can fail when the outer rim separates from the rubber. The rim will then rotate relative to the hub. There are spokes with metal snubbers that will continue to drive the belt, but will make a loud racket. Failure of the pulley does not cause any problems for the crankshaft as so many people incorrectly say.

What you describe is failure of the pulley, not the harmonic balancer.