First off, I have been around before. I drove a 1994 2500 Chevy Ext Cab with a 6.5 for several years and loved it I put 70k miles on it and other than a few clogged fuel filters from crappy fuel, I never had a problem with it. It did get increasingly hard to start and when it did, it smoked for several minutes. The smoke smelled like anti-freeze to me, which made me believe that the head gasket might be bad. Then, one day I noticed a burning smell. I tried to make it home, but the entire front wheel and rotor fell off. Between that and the head gasket, I parked it.
I have been in Florida, mostly during the winters, for the last 5 years. My landlord informed me the other day, that he was planning on selling. I have acquired quite a few trucks and vehicles that I will need to sell or move back to Michigan. I have tried towing in the past with several other trucks only to have a transmission or rearend explode after 3-400 miles. My plan is to build a tow vehicle in the next 6 months. I plan on using the 6.5 out of the 1994 as it was an optimizer block. If it does not check out I have 2 more engines in parts trucks that are possibilities. I have the diesel page books and I know all about the cracks and whatnot. If all else fails, I have another optimizer short block in MI.

My goals are:
1. reliability
2. longevity
3. ease of maintenance
4. fuel ecomomy
5 power

The truck is a 1986 Suburban c20. The plan is power nothing, 6.5, SM465.
I would love to have OD, but the SM465 is supposedly rebuilt (I am pretty confident in this, but will still have it checked out) and it was almost free. Looking for a 3:21 14 bolt rearend. That with some tall tires should give me a decent highway cruising rpm, and the SM465 granny gear should get me moving as my trailer will mostly be in the 7k lbs range.

A cummins would probably be my 1st choice, but I don't feel I have the abilities right now to pull that off. From what I understand all I need are SBC motor mounts and the SM465 will bolt right up.

I have looked at replacement engines and have found a Jasper at around $8k for a complete engine. I have found a few other replacement engines for $6k as well. I don't have much faith in common replacement engines though and I don't want to be broke down in the middle of no where pulling a trailer. I see Ron Schoolcraft is selling engines along with unique diesel(formerly Peninsular) but they are around $10k. My budget is between $3 and $4k tops for a long block. I already have the engine and a Fluid Damper and the Gear Timing set. I bought those items years ago for another truck and never used them.

6.5 plans
18:1 compression - longevity is one of my main goals... this should help. I have found Mahle Marine pistons for $800. Does anyone know where I can find them cheaper?
I'm assuming most of my budget will be on machine shop work. I want it balanced as best as I can get it within my budget.
I see a lot of mention about coatings... again... I have absolutely no idea what this costs. Would love to do it if budget allows.
I see splayed main caps as a must have for a lot of members. I believe this is not within my budget by the time you purchase the caps and pay for machining, but hopefully I am wrong.
I will do as much of the work as I can.

I don't plan on doing much other than plan and start ordering parts until after the 1st of the year. I would love to hear suggestions and constructive criticism. Is this doable? What would be top priorities as far as the engine build? Also, can anyone give recommendations on good machine shops in the Tampa, FL area?

Thank you in advance!
Eric