Thread: Day Time Running Lights?

DA BIG ONE Guest

Well, after installing an aftermarket headlight harness, the daytime running lights stay on at full power reducing my head light life down to 1 month.

I thought about pulling the fuse, but the same fuse is used for the factory security system and the variable rate steering, so I am need of help here.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

On my truck if you puch the e-brake down one click it will disable daytime running lights.
    1995 GMC 2500LD,6.5L TD,Ext cab, SB,4L80E,3.73,Heath Chip, Turbomaster,Hayden fan clutch, 3\" exhaust,K&N filter,Aux Fuel tank, High Idle,Remote Start,Homemade headlight booster,2 inch suspension lift,285/75r16 wrangler at/s. p_holmen@hotmail.com

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Thumbs up

Howdy
    I have JK's harness and have never had any problems. I removed the fuse for the DRL's and my security system/steering still works. Should be the same on my 1999 3500 as your Sub???
    Where did you get the harness from? The lights shouldn't stay on full power all the time.
    L8r
    Conley

DennisG01 Guest

What's the variable rate steering? I pulled the fuse for the DRL and haven't noticed any problems....

DA BIG ONE Guest

Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
    Howdy
    I have JK's harness and have never had any problems. I removed the fuse for the DRL's and my security system/steering still works. Should be the same on my 1999 3500 as your Sub???
    Where did you get the harness from? The lights shouldn't stay on full power all the time.
    L8r
    Conley
    From Summit Racing, now thinking I need JK's harness!

DA BIG ONE Guest

Originally posted by Dennis Galligani:
    What's the variable rate steering? I pulled the fuse for the DRL and haven't noticed any problems....
    There is a speed sensor on the steering column, around town "to about 35mph" the steering is real easy, over 35 +- the steering gets real tight. When it is not working parking can be a bit_h. I think that at slow speeds the power assist is increased, higher speeds power assist is decreased.

DennisG01 Guest

huh...I'll have to put the fuse back in and see if there is a difference. I can honestly say that the way it steers now (at both slow and high speeds) seems perfectly fine. Maybe something changed between '98 and '99?

DA BIG ONE Guest

Originally posted by Dennis Galligani:
    huh...I'll have to put the fuse back in and see if there is a difference. I can honestly say that the way it steers now (at both slow and high speeds) seems perfectly fine. Maybe something changed between '98 and '99?
    Most people never even heard of this setup, and it has been a PITA for GM because of all the steering issues, like when the sensor fails, then fails to set a fault code, or when the box just goes south.

I had replaced my steering box back in APR, on box to be had are GM remanufactured units, then my accident in JUL required another box.

TurboDiverArt Guest

I never noticed any difference in the steering. Seems pretty easy to turn all the time.

I also never realized that the DRL's run at low power. At night when I start the truck and then turn on the headlights I don't notice a difference in intensity. Since the lights stink I'd say they are on low all the time.

Art.