Truck is a '96 K2500 4x4 auto trans, last fuel filter service about 3 months/6000 miles ago. Other than MPGs being a bit low (have been averaging 13.5-14mpg since I bought the truck), seems to have been running fine.

Went from the house to the gas station last night, and about 1/4 mile from the gas station I heard a loud sound under the truck, like when you crumple up a plastic water bottle. Figured I ran something over like a large bottle or can, and didn't think anything of it.

5 mins in the gas station, come back out, and see a puddle under the truck, still dripping. Was clear, oily, and smelled faintly like diesel, dripping from the bell housing and around the starter. A few minutes later it stops dripping, and I can't find evidence of anything leaking from the engine bay, though it was dark out, and I only had a cell phone as a flashlight. Left a couple pints on the ground.

Starts right up, drove it home a few miles without issue. Drove it 50 miles to work this morning, and it wasn't dripping at all when I got here, though it did sputter a bit when I first started it, kind of like maybe some air got in the fuel system.

I've been reading threads about fuel lines leaking in/around the valley, and a drain hole up there, and to check all the fuel lines/injector lines/return lines for leaks. Was going to tear in to it this weekend, but I keep thinking about that plastic crumpling noise, wondering if it might point to something, or just an odd coincidence? Looks like we're gonna get hammered with rain the next few days, and I'm not putting my crawler outside to get soaked, so fingers crossed I don't have a catastrophic failure before then, lol.