Hey guys! I have read threads from this site before and they have helped me a few times already, but i am having problems answering some questions about my truck lately. I dont have any friends familiar with diesels, and this is my first rodeo with one.
I have an 86 gmc with the 6.2. After some fuel gelling issues in cold weather that i was unaware of, i burnt up a starter one weekend trying to get her to start. New starter, fresh fuel and some winterizer cured that issue. Expensive mistake, but live and learn.
During the starter install i noticed i have a fuel leak under what looks like the passenger tank, but i havent been able to tell of its the transfer pump or a tank/line issue yet. (24 degrees and snow today in ohio)
The last time i drove the truck i noticed it would jump up a couple hundred rpm on a steady cruze without any throttle input, and on the same trip it also lost power a couple times. (Pumping the pedal and no response) i thought i was gonna have to call a buddy with a trailer to get me home.
I scared myself reading online cause i kept seeing “runaway diesels” while searching, so i have parked it and not driven it since.
I was able to find a post on here where the owner replaced fuel injectors and it seemed to clear up his idle surge problem, but i was hoping i could give a run down of whats happening and see if anyone could give me some advice- in case my issue is different then his-
So with the truck in the driveway i started it the other day, it started relatively easily after 2 glow plug cycles, but ran really rough and never quit smoking out of the passenger side. With a tail wind from the field i had smoke traveling easily 50 feet past the front of the truck.
The driver side seemed to not be smoking after start up, but passenger side just rolled smoke. During the 3-5 minutes i was trying to keep it running. It seemed to sort of chug for lack of better terms, like i had to hold the throttle and rev it to keep it running. After a few minutes with the smoke not clearing out i shut the truck off in fear that i might make things worse and once again started researching my new problem.

The internet is a great thing, but theres almost too much information on it. -as in, when you want to find one specific answer but no matter how long you look, you only find other things. Like 6.5 trucks, cold start videos, turbo videos, and cat videos. Haha

I hope this post isnt confusing, and im sure i probably have more then one issue with this truck, but if anyone on here wouldnt mind giving me some tips as to where to start, i would so greatly appreciate the favor, your time and help.

Have a great day! And thanks in advance to whoever might be able to give me a couple tips!
-Brian