Thread: Oil Confusion!

Cool Oil Confusion!

Hello all. My first time on. I own a 2017 GMC Canyon w/a 2,8 Duramax. It was built in the US, but marketed in Canada before I bought it 2nd hand in WA.
    Question: Will Mobil 1 Dexos 1 Gen 2 meet engine specs? I have found conflicting info on-line.
    Thanks.
    Torch

Welcome aboard!

NO generation of Dexos 1 is compatible. Dexos 1, Gen 2 is NOT Dexos 2. There is no conflict. If you want Mobil 1 oil, check their site for the latest info, or find some Mobil Series 3000 oil, which is Dexos 2 compatible. It's what I used in our Cruze Diesel, and others around here use in their Cruze and Canyon/Colorado Diesels. Or buy GM Dexos 2 from the dealer. At last check, the dealer list price was on par with the rest of them, and less in some cases.
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 03-12-2020 at 20:16.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Welcome aboard!

NO generation of Dexos 1 is compatible. Dexos 1, Gen 2 is NOT Dexos 2. There is no conflict. If you want Mobil 1 oil, check their site for the latest info, or find some Mobil Series 3000 oil, which is Dexos 2 compatible. It's what I used in our Cruze Diesel, and others around here use in their Cruze and Canyon/Colorado Diesels. Or buy GM Dexos 2 from the dealer. At last check, the dealer list price was on par with the rest of them, and less in some cases.
    I agree with Dmax. As I understand it but not totally sure, some of the Mobil 1 synthetics supposedly have a Dexos 2 equivalent listed on the container of some of their products.
    I am going to run Amsoil or Mobil 1 in my 2.8 on my next oil change.

How often do you change the oil? Book says 7500 miles. Not sure if I like going that long.
    2020 GMC Canyon Diesel

You can change the oil as often as you like, it's your truck. These later models are not the same old-school oil burners of decades passed. They run MUCH cleaner, inside and out, which means there's less dirty to remove at similar miles as before. Advancements in the engine oils also make longer service intervals practical. They have an OLM (Oil Life Monitor) that's more than simply a mileage counter. They take into consideration the entire operating environment, which includes time, miles and usage conditions. You can change according to the miles, the OLM, or whenever you feel you need to. 7500 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first, is a good baseline for normal use, despite the nostalgic indicators. For less than the cost of one service, you can have the oil tested (probably a couple/few times), for piece of mind.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Thank You DmaxMaverick.

I found Dexos2 oil on Amazon.. Motul brand if anyone is looking for it.
    2020 GMC Canyon Diesel

For future reference, if you don't want to go to the dealer or off brand, look for Mobil 3000. It's authentic Mobil 1 full synthetic that's Dexos 2 rated. It's hard to find, but worth it, IMO. I used it for over 50K in the Cruze Diesel. It is also what my dealer stocked before they got GM labeled Dexos 2 in stock.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

dang was searching hours for answers, finally found it. still going to search though.

The skinny. Dexos 2 is basically an oil spec that relates to additives to reduce friction vs low sulfides to prevent clogging of the DPF. My fav is Motul 8100 X-clean EFE. It meets Dexos 2 specs (GMC gets paid for every quantity of licensed Dexos sold) and it meets the ACEA C2 spec which has the lowest sulfide emissions that can block the DPF. If you want to stay compliant with warranty, you have to use a Dexos 2 oil from GMs current licensed list. This changes continually as not all oil manufacturers renew their contract with GM to put the Dexos 2 label on their oil....https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos2/index.html
    This is the most current offering from GM as to licensed manufacturers. It is out of date however as many of these are no longer offered.

After having difficulty finding the Mobil one dexos 2 oil I wanted I went to my Chevy Dealer and purchased the GM Dexos 2 oil from them. $10.72 per quart.
    About the same price as other brands.
    And from what they tell me Mobil 1 makes the GM Dexos 1 and 2 oils for them.
    I do buy the AC Delco filters, there are some cheap "Junk" filters out there and I don't want them in my vehicles.
    Now don't get me wrong there are some good after market filters also but you have to read the specs and micron ratings on them.