Thread: "Heavy Duty" Clutch Slave Cylinder?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So, I finally got the slave cylinder, the master cylinder, and the hydraulic line all replaced in my truck... I had just got enough of the shop finished and straightened to let me use my lift.

I used a metal Exedy slave cylinder and braided steel hydraulic line from Rock Auto, and bought a metal Centric Master Cylinder from Amazon.

Everything went together well, and I bled the slave cylinder using the tried and true "push and hold the pedal, open the bleed screw, let bubbles out, close bleed screw, release pedal" method, plus pushing on the slave cylinder rod to force fluid, and bubbles, back up and out the master cylinder, plus using a vacuum pump on the top of the master cylinder.

I finally got a firm pedal, but the truck shifts even worse than it did before.

So, a couple questions...

The PO had put the slave cylinder rod with the large rounded end against the clutch pivot, and the small, stepped end into the slave cylinder. This is different than what I've seen in pictures, such as in trbankii's above, which shows the small end sticking out, and retained much like a gas shock.

Which way is correct?

I also noticed that the aluminum Centric master cylinder is about 3/4" shorter than the OEM plastic one... if the bore is larger, then it could still push enough fluid to disengage the clutch, though requiring more pressure. If it's the same diameter, then not as much fluid will be pushed out and the clutch may not disengage completely.

Finally, I'm wondering if I have one of the old style flywheels, and possibly the original ball stud and throwout bearing fork. The truck has about 135,000 miles on it, and the tranny was supposedly rebuilt at 115,000 miles, but I don't think it was done by a shop... the throwout bearing is starting to whine, and a lot of the clips that hold the hydraulic line, etc. away from the exhaust were not bolted back into place.

It's hard to get a picture of the flywheel without removing the tranny, but can anyone tell if this is the two piece or one piece flywheel?

Lastly, I bought some heat shielding that consists of a fiber type substance bonded to aluminum and placed it on the exhaust cross over pipe and the main pipe going to the rear of the truck in order to cut down on heat radiated to the transmission.

Anyway, your comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images