Thread: 1973 k5 6.2 swap gauge cluster

Default 1973 k5 6.2 swap gauge cluster

Hello there. I’m swapping a 1982 6.2 with a banks kit into my
    73 k5. What gauge cluster year do I use? I’m worried about the
    Gen gauge and if the other wiring will work.
    I have several other harnesses and clusters from various years
    To pick through but no 6.2 one.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi

I think you could use any gauge cluster you want.
    i would just hook up the wiring like it was the gasser,the hot wire for the coil would go to the shutoff solinoid on the pump.
    The only extra wiring you will have to do is the glowplug circuit,and the cold advance for the injection pump.
    Thats my plan
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Welcome aboard!

It won't matter much which harness and IPC you use. The technology was essentially unchanged from 1972 through about 1987/1991 (depending on GVWR and body series). You'll be splicing the interface in almost any case, and later is not necessarily better than earlier. The analogs are only different in appearance, so choose the look you like. A 1982+ Diesel will have fuel-correct markings, but that's about it. I don't recall what year the switch to PCB happened, but it won't change anything but the level of simplicity. In my experience, the PCB's were less durable, and more difficult to repair or modify. None of the Diesel models had a tachometer until GMT-400 (88/92+), so you'll have to be creative, if that's what you want. 2-1/16" tachs are available, and can be fitted into one of the smaller holes to replace a blank or a clock (looks better than a separate pod, IMO). EGT or boost (or composite) gages can also be added there. An OEM diagram would be very helpful, too.

Also note, any of the analog gages can have an issue when they don't read correctly or not at all. Don't pull your hair out over it if they do. It's usually the polarity or a resistor (on the back of the gage) that's the cause. Easy to repair yourself, or cheap to send it out for a test and repair.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the help guys. I like the 78 style so I think I’ll go with that.
    This is seeming to be a simple swap. Again thank you for you help.
    I just joined this site and one fire out in 12 hours.

Post some pictures as you hit some milestones...
    Everyone likes to see projects in the works
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews