Thread: Garmin Dash Cam Wiring

Default Garmin Dash Cam Wiring

Hi,

I'm about to buy Garmin 66W dash cam. If I do, I probably will want to install the parking wiring kit that allows for some form of (presumably very low power) motion detection, which will start recording when the vehicle is not running.

The installation kit that Garmin provides requires access to both constant power and non-powered (when the key is off) circuits. After watching my share of YouTube videos and reading numerous Google entries, I think I have the process firmly in mind.

What I would like to know is: 1)if anyone here has installed this type of wiring on their late model Silverado; 2) any tips you want to pass on; and 3) which fuses did you tap into for the powered and non-powered circuits.

Also, does there exist a nice crisp chart somewhere that tells you with more detail what each of the coded entries on the back of the fuse compartment cover panel actually stand for? As a matter of principle, it just seems like it would be useful to have something like that readily in hand, rather than guessing on the meaning of some of the obscure initials.

Thanks.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

The radio head connector has the power leads you need for RAP (retained accessory power - on until you open the door with key off), and always on. Relay the power if there's a concern about the circuit load. Don't waste time trying to use a key-only solution not relayed by the BCM, as they are much deeper/complicated than necessary, or involve sensitive systems (airbags, etc.).

With the fuse panel "codes", they're usually just abbreviations or acronyms, or sub-series of such. For the others you can try a search engine (google, bing, etc.), or much more reliably, the service/repair manual. Some of them may be in the owner's manual. OR, trial and error-- pull the fuse and see what doesn't work. Please post your results here, either way, if you do.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Hi DmaxMaverick,

Thanks for the tips. I don't think this is going to get done right away, but I'll chime in after I polish it off.

I appreciate your many contributions here; have a good one.

Rich
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

I installed one of these on a dodge ram. I tapped the fuse that was for the radio to keep the time clock and station settings, it is on 24/7. For the key switch power I tapped the ignition circuit that only powers with key on or key acc. mode.

The "park" feature on the dash cam is annoying to me. I guess if I came out to find my truck totaled I might like to review the footage. My camera has settings for park videos. You set a timer, 1 hour to 4 hours of operation. If it detects motion it will record a short clip. The rub is, if a cloud passes by it records, if a tree moves in the wind it records, ect... So every time I start my truck I have 40 to 50 videos stored that show nothing of interest. I delete the videos asap but you don't have to, your camera should just record over the oldest videos when it gets full.

Word of advise, not all SD cards are created equal. You need a good one that is rated for video. Not all SD cards were made for that purpose. Considering the dash cam is in the front window it will get really hot and the heat will kill the card over time. Plan to replace your card every couple of years.

From time to time I get a warning that my card is degraded and I might not be recording everything. When this happens format the card and wipe all stored videos. This happens to me every four months or so. I think the operating system of the camera can corrupt the file system on the cards and a reformat will get it right again.

Dash cams in this world are a necessity. They can work in your favor or they can work against you. I have always said I will never just turn over my footage to law enforcement until I or my attorney have viewed the footage. I am prepared to swallow the SD card if necessary.

So the fun of dash cams, travel laps videos are cool to look at, one time driving at night I witnessed a falling star that lasted 10 seconds, the dash cam caught it too!. Beautiful video. I was driving home one day and witnessed a car parked to the side of a dirt road. They hopped back into their car as I approached and drove toward me, we met and they went on their way. They started a ditch fire on a very windy day. I called the fire department they put it out and I gave the footage of the car to the Sheriff Office. Turns out this person was setting fires all over the county. It was my footage that sealed their fate.

Enjoy the camera, they can be fun.

Brian
    1995 GMC Surburban, 3.42 gears, 4in WarpSpeed Exhaust, Remote PMD, Airdog-100 Lift Pump, Racor fuel filter/heater, S&B cold air filter setup, P-400, ATT, and a Heath tune! SOLD all that after putting 3/4 million miles on that rig! Now drive 2015 ram EcoDiesel.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. I have been wondering about the likelihood of that feature capturing a lot of innocent motion, particularly since my truck is typically parked nose out in the driveway.

On the other hand, I've had a few things on the road over the years that I sure wish I had been able to capture. That's a good part of my motivation.

Have a good one.

Rich
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71