Thread: LEAKING Air Con Condenser

Angry LEAKING Air Con Condenser

Hi everyone, Not been on for some time due to illness etc. I have a LB7 2002 Duramax with only 50k on Mileometer. Some time ago my Air Con packed up. I have had it checked and the Condenser has a leak.
    I AM IN ENGLAND WHERE GARAGE ENGINEERS ARE NOT THAT WELL INFORMED. CAN I OBTAIN A NEW PART FROM USA AND ARE THERE ANY TIPS FOR REMOVING THE OLD CONDENSER, there is a support bracket which seems to be a big obstruction.

Most fitters 'suck through their teeth' when they see it.

Any advice on getting it out before I let someone touch my Ride is very welcome.
    Cheers
    Dek:

This is fairly straight-forward. Nothing special here. The A/C condenser is one of 4 cores in the stack: Tranny cooler; A/C condenser; intercooler; engine coolant radiator. Once the associated lines are disconnected and the upper support bracket is removed, they are lifted out, individually. Use care to not damage them in the process. In the case of the A/C condenser, remove only the A/C lines and the bracket, and work it out through the top. I don't recall any fasteners at the bottom, only slots in the mounting insulators (check if it doesn't work free). Installation is in reverse order, then an A/C service should have it back up and operating.

Sourcing a replacement core is as with any other auto part. They are common here, and very often an "in stock" part, so finding one won't be the problem. Getting one shipped overseas is a different story, but should be no more difficult than any other part. You should be able to order one through your local parts supplier, in any case. There may be different cores, depending on original equipment, such as regular cab vs. crew cab, so that info may be helpful if you want help identifying the correct part number (hint: enter your complete vehicle information in your signature, located in your User Control Panel, which will then be attached below your posts).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Leaking A/C Condenser

Hi, and thankyou for that helpfull info.I do have 5 Factory Manuals for truck and they seem as though lots of removal of items is needed, hence my query on DP.

Well, we will give it a try.
    Dek

That's a lot of manuals. I recall a quip: A man with one clock always knows the time. A man with two is never sure.
    (I don't recall the origin)

I have 1 manual, and it has a long list of steps to R/R the condenser, but it boils down to basically move or remove the radiator (and lower fan shroud), then R/R the A/C lines and condenser. No special tools are specified. Moving the radiator rather than removing it eliminates the need to drain the coolant, so that's worth something. Indicated shop time is less than an hour for the job, including coolant drain/fill.

Otherwise, just follow the procedure in one of your manuals.

GM list price for the condenser is $320-344 USD, while Rock Auto lists a "genuine GM" (GM or Delphi branding) for $102, with others varying from $42+. Still, make sure the application is specific to your rig. There are different parts for models with aux. air or some chassis packages (such as ambulance, etc.).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Where is the leak?? Exactally?
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Default Condenser Leak

The Leak is roughly in the middle of Condenser.
    My manuals cover everything on the Truck, from start to finish.
    Roughly 1000 pages, but only covers ONE item . I am happy to scan and send pages to anyone in Forum for any job.

If it’s in the tubing, it can be repaired, it will require aluminum solder of course..Test it to 250 lbs with dry nitrogen, then vacuum recharge..
    One a side not, I went to a hvac/r event in Las VegaS and got a sample of a powder you put on a leak then added a kind of glue, that stuff worked both times I used it
    But it was alway on the low side...can’t remember the name of it..
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

I had to change the condenser in my 02 Sierra and found a youtube video on doing it.

Basically pulled the grill and the right headlight assy and slid it out sideways, made what looked to be an awful job much easier.

Try searching for it, I think I used 'how to replace ac condenser in 02 gmc sierra'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dek Hawkins View Post
    ...I am happy to scan and send pages to anyone in Forum for any job.
    Unless the manual states that it is in the public domain, it cannot be copied and distributed legally.