Thread: 6.2 Banks Sidewinder Turbo Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Before installing Fel-Pro head gaskets on the locating dowels, Heath coated them with Permatex Copper Coat gasket sealer.
    Doing that will ruin the gaskets.

The Fel-Pro gaskets are manufactured with a factory-applied thermal-set coating, which is one of several features that make them superior to any other brand or type of head gaskets. These gaskets bond to the head and block decks over a few heat/cooling cycles. Smearing copper sealer over the top of the thermal-set adhesive ruins the engineering of the bond.

In addition... the Fel-Pro head gaskets were engineered to work in conjunction with the Fel-Pro TTY (Torque-to-Yield) head bolts. These bolts provide for a somewhat elastic clamping load that self-compensates for thermal expansion and the effects of time. Studs work great for a performance engine that is seeing extreme combustion pressures, but they aren't necessary for even a performance 6.5L turbo diesel. As a way of reinforcing that fact, we know that even the Duramax is produced using TTY head bolts.

Our own 6.5TD Power Project engine was assembled using Fel-Pro head gaskets and Fel-Pro TTY head bolts using Fel-Pro's and our own recommended procedure. That engine delivered perfect service approaching nearly 300,000 miles before it was sold to an out-of-state buyer. During that 7 year period and all those miles, the head gaskets were never a problem.

I guess maybe if I sold head studs I'd push them too.... no, no I wouldn't...
    Last edited by More Power; 10-07-2020 at 12:46.