Thread: High idle issues

Default High idle issues

Hello new to the forum I have a 1989 Chevy Silverado with the 6.2 diesel I recently turned the fuel screw up on my truck and now I have a higher then normal idle issue I have had these pumps apart on theses trucks a few times but never came across and issue like this I turned the fuel screw up and now the truck is idling to high I did not adjust the govenor rod it doesn’t
    Seem to be adjustable on this truck anyways I checked the idle screw on the driver side throttle linkage still no change took all cables off the linkage still no change starter turning the fuel screw back down still no change I am not sure what to do now I don’t really want to turn the fuel screw back to stock if I don’t have to I’ve owned a few of these trucks over the years one I didn’t care about I cranked the fuel screw all the way up on and even it didn’t high idle any help would be appreciated

Welcome aboard!

This issue may be more simple that it appears. I've turned up a bunch of pumps, and never had any issue with idle, even on really worn pumps. If this pump has some miles on it, either this build or after many overhauls, the throttle shaft or linkage may have worn into a rut. Try mechanically "exercising" it, forcing it to minimum against the idle screw. Check the high idle solenoid. It may be at it's minimum, which will prevent the idle from lowering. Many/most of the high idle solenoids are adjustable, and can be threaded in/out (check for a slot in the rod end, which may be a hex). Also check the physical limitations of the throttle cable and linkage, which may be limiting in itself. Adjust as necessary.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Ya I’ve been playing with the linkages and and turning the fuel down I can’t seem to get the idle back in check do you have a picture of the govenor road assembly I swear I got it installed right on the throttle shaft it only goes one way but I’m questioning it I took pictures before I even touched everything the one thing that conserns me is the hobo spring in the end of the govenor rod I put it back exactly the way it came apart and nothing should be out of adjustment my govenor rod is non adjustable so I’m just trying to figure out what I did wrong truck runs fine and revs up and down fine but I just can’t seem to get the idle to drop does the govenor rod have anything to do with idle all ? Like I said I tried everything and even turning the fuel back down didn’t seem to solve the ishue pump is old and worn out I don’t have a tach in this truck but I swear it’s idling about 800 rpm just by ear

The first think I'd suggest is install a 1/4" ball valve on the fuel filter outlet, and run a string or rod from the lever to outside the engine compartment. Messing with old pumps such as what you're doing can lead to a runaway you can't shut down. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what you're doing (done it myself in a previous life), but due caution should be taken. Even if you don't care about the engine, burning one down in your garage/driveway is a bad day (save it for the youtube idiots).

If you turned up the screw, then back down, and now have a new problem (idle won't drop), then either something didn't go back in like it should have, or the pump is beyond useful. I don't have a pic, and it's been 20+ years, so I'm probably not much help with that. Maybe Robyn's or someone else's memory is a bit fresher than mine....
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Figured it out believe it or not I had the hobo spring backwards on the govenor rod I checked and thanks for your help really appreciate it ended up being my mistake now I feel stupid lol

Not stupid. You have provided others with useful information.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn1993 View Post
    Figured it out believe it or not I had the hobo spring backwards on the govenor rod I checked and thanks for your help really appreciate it ended up being my mistake now I feel stupid lol
    Thank you for posting a followup.

I remember the cautions in the instructions from Banks regarding that spring - when I got to the step concerning "turning up the pump" - after installing a Banks Sidewinder turbo kit. With everyone now having a phone and camera, it's an easy process to snap a few photos of how things look before disassembly. It's saved me a more than a few times through the years.

Jim