Thread: 6.5 TD Refresher+Mods

Default 6.5 TD Refresher+Mods

Let’s have some fun! Taking a break from the 6.2 and currently doing a 6.5. The goal is to do what I call a “Refresher” on a great running 1995 6.5 TD. This will be simple with zero fabrication yet a few upgrades, conversions.

Replacing...

New Rear main seal
    New Oil pan gasket+rtv
    New Timing cover rtv
    New 6.2 flow kooler HO Water Pump
    New Water pump gasket+rtv
    New Water pump plate gasket+rtv
    New Valve cover new rtv
    Convert to V-Belt
    Dual J-Code Alternators
    New intake manifold gasket
    New air hat gasket
    New harmonic balancer or Fluidamper
    New timing plate crank seal
    6.2 J water cross over
    Replacing to low mile injectors
    Converting to a mechanical 4911 Injection pump with low miles.

Turbo choices are Banks Sidewinder, Hx35w, GM5

So why the V-Belt and Flow Kooler pump?

The Flow Kooler 6.2 pump has 16 blades with a 3 7/8” impeller and the stock water pump which only has 6 blades and a 3 7/8” impeller. More blades=more flow!

Why the V-Belt? I want to keep it simple. It will be much less of a hassle to do the V-Belt plus I get to keep the J-code dual alternator set up.

I already have gutted all the old electronics, ip and refurbished the valve covers. Lifters are good.

Here is how she looks right now.

I would like to do the Hx35w with the boost turned way down. Has anyone added an Hx35w on their 6.5 and have over 50,000 miles with it?

6.2 vacuum pump added for the th400 shifting patterns. Swapped right over. Also cleaned up the rear coolant plates and added new RTV.

I now have enough parts to build any type of 6.5 or 6.2! Thanks to a diesel page member. This picture is only the 1/2 of it! If anyone needs anything for their 6.5 or 6.2 send me a pm!

Today I got the banks manifold on and Holset Hx35w turbo.

I installed a 6.2 driver intake manifold so the banks cross over will bolt right on.

I am still up in the air about the V-belt. If the 6.5 passenger alternator and tensioner fits with the Hx35w, I will do the Serpentine.

This motor looks a lot better then it did when I first started. Believe me! I wire brushed and shop vac about 5 pounds of dirt and oil off of it. It still has more but when the build is done, I will wash it with the hotsy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2INSANE View Post
    I am still up in the air about the V-belt. If the 6.5 passenger alternator and tensioner fits with the Hx35w, I will do the Serpentine.

This motor looks a lot better then it did when I first started. Believe me! I wire brushed and shop vac about 5 pounds of dirt and oil off of it. It still has more but when the build is done, I will wash it with the hotsy.
    I hear you about wanting to keep the v-belt for the dual alt setup, but I can't forget the PITA my old 6.2 was with the v-belt system....seemed like I was always adjusting and/or replacing the belts constantly. And watching the A/C belt going through wild gyrations when the compressor was engaged.....scary stuff! I remember the special upper radiator hose clamp with the metal shield to keep that belt from slapping the crap out of the hose. Lol
    '95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500, reg cab, long box, 2x4, 4L80E, 3.73 ratio, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.

Quote Originally Posted by rnash4 View Post
    I hear you about wanting to keep the v-belt for the dual alt setup, but I can't forget the PITA my old 6.2 was with the v-belt system....seemed like I was always adjusting and/or replacing the belts constantly. And watching the A/C belt going through wild gyrations when the compressor was engaged.....scary stuff! I remember the special upper radiator hose clamp with the metal shield to keep that belt from slapping the crap out of the hose. Lol
    Agree, completely. I'd rather be dragged down 2 miles of dirt road than go back to V belts. If you have an issue with the serp setup, fix that. I like retro, but no way when it comes to V belts. If a run is too long, such as the OP has seen, install an idler and measure for the longer belt. Easy fix.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Agree, completely. I'd rather be dragged down 2 miles of dirt road than go back to V belts. If you have an issue with the serp setup, fix that. I like retro, but no way when it comes to V belts. If a run is too long, such as the OP has seen, install an idler and measure for the longer belt. Easy fix.
    Ditto. I constantly fought the V-belts on my 6.2L's. Never have had an issue with the serpentine setup on my 6.5L.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Goodyear makes the best vbelts i could get my hands on
    Put new ones on mine when i got it on the road,i got a good 8 years of year around use and they are still on it.The alt belt was starting to slip after a cold start.
    When i used Dayco on my gasser tow truck,a year would be about it,the cogs would be the first to break off then start to slip,Goodyears solved that problem.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Well.... umm... I did it. It all fits with the Hx35w! Holy cow! So I’m looking at... or you are looking at a 1995 6.5 TD with a 6.2 water pump plate, 6.2 flowkooler water pump upgrade, 6.2 driver exhaust manifold, 6.2 intake manifold, banks pass exhaust manifold with Hx35w, banks oil drain plate with mechanical pump delete, 6.2 water crossover, banks air hat with banks intake pipe, waiting for 2” to 2 1/2” reducer to arrive. All new gaskets and rtv, 4911 IP with 93 ip fuel lines, 6.2 vacuum pump.

All I have left is the oil pan, rear main seal, custom 1/8 NPT bung welded to oil pan for the oil temperature gauge.

What a Rare and unique build this is. I agree the V-belt is not the greatest but I need something fast! She has been out of service too long now. I need something to get her going temporarily so I can start the 18:1 build.

She looks like a BEAST for sure! LOL
    '95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500, reg cab, long box, 2x4, 4L80E, 3.73 ratio, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.

This motor is sold!

A FrankenBeast.

Looks great.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

The V Belts on every 6.2 I owned were a constant source of annoyance.
    The long runs would vibrate at idle and sound horrible....plus the mentioned issue of keeping them tight.

I was a tad skeptical of the serp drive when they first came out.....but oh how nice they are.
    One belt and a wrench stuck under the seat for insurance.....good to go....

..... I have never had one leave me on the side of the road....opened the hood one day to check the oil and discovered half the width of the belt GONE.....Whoa.....BUT.....It was still working.....That was when I kept a spare under the seat with a long wrench.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

"One belt and a wrench stuck under the seat for insurance.." Have been doing that ever since I had my truck.....just in case!

This motor is sold! It worked out great for a customer.