Thread: Can’t imagine going 60k on a oil change

Default Can’t imagine going 60k on a oil change

I have over 400,000 miles on my stock truck change the oil every 10,000 miles
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

10K miles is a good number for a relatively lightly driven Duramax. A hard working Duramax might need it a little sooner. I go by how dark the oil gets over time. The 6.2/6.5, on the other hand, need to have their oil changed about every 3k miles (gets darker sooner).

This is a pic of a Ford Powerstroke (either a 6.4 or 6.7) that failed due to not changing the oil. An expensive lesson... The twin turbos had failed as well. The pic shows the top of the cylinder heads with the valve covers removed. Looks like you sprayed on a heavy coat of bedliner on all those delicate parts...

Reminds me of the days when gas stations carried quart jars of reclaimed oil. My brother bought a 57 Chevy and when he pulled the valve covers it was almost solid wax under them.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Reminds me of the days when gas stations carried quart jars of reclaimed oil. My brother bought a 57 Chevy and when he pulled the valve covers it was almost solid wax under them.
    Back about 1969-1971 I owned a '58 Chevy that had a 283 small block. I pulled the valve covers on this engine at the time to reseal the valve covers and was a bit appalled to see a thick layer of black gelled oil on everything. It ran well enough, despite the discovery. I didn't know what else to do, so I flushed the engine with diesel fuel a couple of times. Looking back, I could have caused more trouble than I fixed, but I felt a bit better after having flushed the engine. The 283 continued to run well till I sold the car a couple of years after. The motor oil we had then really wasn't very good by today's standards.

Today, cars can run for hundreds of thousands of miles. I watch videos now and then about older cars that were found in a barn and hadn't run for 20-40+ years. Their odometers usually all show 60-80k miles before they were parked. Engine trouble or some other drive-train problem is the usual reason for parking a car. The "good old days"? Back in 1969 I bought an all original, nearly perfect and 100% complete 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2-door HT for $75. Even the interior was nice. But... it didn't run, with just 67,000 miles on the odo.