I'm about to tear further into my 6.5 than I've ever previously done. I will be replacing the water pump with a new flowkooler model from Leroy Diesel and also putting on a fluidampr. Since my engine has almost 200k on it now, I figured I might as well replace the timing set while I'm doing the rest, and then hopefully never have to go back in there.

I have dug through these forums reading all the threads I could find about timing set replacement, IP, and how to set the timing, and I think I have a good idea of how to do it. I just want to be sure I understand how the IP part works when replacing the timing set without replacing the IP.

Does the IP (and therefore intake manifold) have to come off entirely in order to replace the timing set? Or can it just be unbolted from the front cover? Are these the same 3 bolts that allow for adjustment of the pump position? Finally, if leaving the pump in place, does that mean I need a special bent wrench or some other special tool in order to R&R those bolts?

Here's a full list of what I'll be doing over the next couple of weeks:

• new Leroy Diesel Flowkooler water pump
  • new 21" fan & fan clutch (part of kit from Leroy)
  • new aluminum balancer pully (also from Leroy)
  • Fluidampr harmonic balancer
  • new crankshaft position sensor
  • new timing set (cloyes)
  • new Champion aluminum radiator
  • new 195° ACDelco thermostat
  • new radiator hoses

I love my Suburban (nicknamed The Hulk) it's my family's camping & adventure vehicle. I've had one or two times when it was struggling to keep cool driving over some of the steeper sierra passes in the summertime heat, and want to see if I can prevent that from being a problem in the future.

Merry Christmas, and thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Wade