Thread: Stamped-Steel Rocker Arms - Brass Buttons

Lightbulb Stamped-Steel Rocker Arms - Brass Buttons

The plastic buttons, used with the 6.5 rocker arm assemblies, came up recently here in our forum, and that reminded me of a photo member MJ McCarroll sent to me some years ago.

As I recall, MJ used a specially hardened tap to thread the holes that were used by the plastic buttons., then added bolts and brass washers.

My experience with the factory plastic buttons has been a good one. I've not had a problem, though I do replace them whenever I do cylinder head work.

Through the years, I've heard from a couple of 6.5 owners who had varying degrees of problems with plastic button breakage. In one case, the buttons kept breaking even after replacing them... I suspect the root cause was a problem with the valve train that was causing the breakage (i.e. bent rocker, bent pushrod, bent valve stem or something other).

I liked MJ's idea, so I thought I'd show you all what he did. Thanks MJ!

Im haven the same issue wih the buttons. new heads using the old valves and rockers. have had it break 3 differant buttons in less then 500 miles on new heads. I am going to tap and rplace with bolts and brass washers I was just hope that any one Or MJ Mcarrolcould tell me wharethey foundrhe rass washers atso donthave to waist timend mile looking. Thanks

I suspect MJ produced his own brass washers for his project using brass round stock and a lathe.

There must be an underlying cause of the button breakage in your situation. Something is bent, broken or out of alignment... or there is a piston clearance issue. something... something is out of the ordinary. Jim