Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I bought an Optimizer NAVSTAR

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    A shift delay isn't a band issue. IIRC, the 2-3 shift isn't a band event (should be 2/4). It's a TV cable/valve, valve timing or governor issue. Most common is the WRONG governor or TV cable adjustment. If it's "slipping" into 3, it shouldn't be driven until corrected. If it has the Trans-Go kit installed (should have, if you want it to live), all shifts should be firm and decisive. There's only ONE way to adjust the TV cable. Anyone can do it if the procedure is followed, and it takes about a minute or two. If you don't know, get smart on it. Try that FIRST. If it requires further adjustment, something else is wrong. If the TV cable is incorrectly adjusted, you risk toasting the tranny in a hurry.
    So it feels like it shifts 4 times while starting out in 1st gear. Feels like it shifts twice when it is going from 2-3. It is possible what I am feeling is the lock up kicking on just before it shifts into 3 gear? This is a pre 86 700r4 and is not electronically controlled like the newer 700r4’s. The trans shop said it is doing its job well.

It could be TCC engagement, depending on throttle input and load. If so, it's normal. The vast majority of heat generated in this tranny is from the torque converter. It's small, but the clutch is sufficient for the power range. The more time it spends locked up, the better. Heat is the killer. I have my 85 Blazer set up so it locks early in 2, and stays that way until speed is below about 12 MPH, or I manually disengage it (switched). The brake switch is also bypassed from the circuit, which allows for maximum compression braking (very handy for mountain driving). The tranny has lived for over 1/2 million miles, with not-so-much gentle use. It also has the 1st Gen Trans-go kit. Shifts are very firm (read: harsh) under heavy throttle, but zero slippage. It will bark 33" mudders in 3 gears at WOT.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Update:

3000+miles on the GM1/Optimizer/700r4 and still running great!

"The brake switch is also bypassed from the circuit, which allows for maximum compression braking (very handy for mountain driving)." So, you have to manually disengage the TCC with the switch at every stop?

Quote Originally Posted by 56pan View Post
    "The brake switch is also bypassed from the circuit, which allows for maximum compression braking (very handy for mountain driving)." So, you have to manually disengage the TCC with the switch at every stop?
    No. It has been modified so I do not have to worry about that. It is Hydraulically controlled. The TV cable does all the work. It has all the bells and whistles. 3-4 clutch pack, Corvette Servo, etc.

No. Below about 10-12 MPH (in high range), it unlocks. Interesting, the Allison tranny does nearly the same in T/H mode, although it won't lock or stay locked in 1st gear or below about 20 MPH.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

No. Below about 10-12 MPH (in high range), it unlocks. Interesting, the Allison tranny does nearly the same in T/H mode, although it won't lock or stay locked in 1st gear or below about 20 MPH.
    Got it. Thanks. Didn't know the trans. would do that.

Got it. Thanks. Didn't know the trans. would do that.
    If remembered correctly, I believe the pre 1986 700R4 lockup is hydraulicly controlled. The 1986+ is electronically controlled.

Mine is a 1985 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 2INSANE View Post
    If remembered correctly, I believe the pre 1986 700R4 lockup is hydraulicly controlled. The 1986+ is electronically controlled.

Mine is a 1985 :-)
    They are all electrically controlled, but the earlier years would see the hydraulic circuit open at low speed. I've not researched or mod'd later than 86, so I don't know how they may behave. 1987.5 was a transition year, so that likely has something to do with it. I have heard of some of them staying locked all the way to stall, but never seen it for myself.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

They are all electrically controlled, but the earlier years would see the hydraulic circuit open at low speed. I've not researched or mod'd later than 86, so I don't know how they may behave. 1987.5 was a transition year, so that likely has something to do with it. I have heard of some of them staying locked all the way to stall, but never seen it for myself.
    There is no electronics at all on mine. I feel it lock up in 3rd gear. Has a cool grumble sound when it unlocks. So far loving it! Knock on wood…

Quote Originally Posted by 2INSANE View Post
    There is no electronics at all on mine. I feel it lock up in 3rd gear. Has a cool grumble sound when it unlocks. So far loving it! Knock on wood…
    I didn't say electronics. It's electrical. It's there. None of them are not electric.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I didn't say electronics. It's electrical. It's there. None of them are not electric.
    Ok. There is nothing “electrical” going to my 700r4. TV cable and linkage is all that is hooked up to it.

I did a whole write up about my 700r4. There are a lot of pictures! Hope this helps.

Post #5 Picture 8. The electrical plug is there to keep dirt out but nothing is hooked up.
    https://www.steelsoldiers.com/thread...-m1009.206236/
    Last edited by 2INSANE; 06-01-2022 at 06:03.

You have a mod'd valve body and a TCC bypass plug. They didn't come that way from the factory.

85_wiring_diagram_01.jpg
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

If there's still a bit of confusion, we should defer to the originating engineer on the matter HERE.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

You have a mod'd valve body and a TCC bypass plug. They didn't come that way from the factory.

85_wiring_diagram_01.jpg
    Not sure how it works exactly. I did not build it. All I did was uninstall, take it to a transmission shop, they built it up and I installed it. Much better option then a 4L80E I think…

If there's still a bit of confusion, we should defer to the originating engineer on the matter HERE.
    OMG that video is hilarious! I did not understand a darn thing he said!

I finally got the made in China Hx35w turbo installed. I have 90 degree elbows ordered and on the way.

After doing some test runs, I did not like the sound and fact that it did not seem to boost well at lower RPMS. So I thought about doing some experimenting. I took off the compressor wheel and housing from the made in USA HX35W and swapped them with the made in China Hx35W. Wow! It made a huge difference in sound and lower rpm boost levels! Very satisfied! Currently searching for a billet wheel about the same size that is lighter weight and a 6 blade to give it even more faster spools and more sound. I also plan on turning up the fuel 1/8th of a turn because my egts are 175 degrees lower. At 2100 RPM 70 mph going up a 6% grade, I am currently sitting at a good 850 degree EGT.

Edit: The Made in China Hx35w turbine wheel is a 12 blade. The made in USA turbine wheel is a 12 blaze as well. My research shows that the 6 blade compressor wheel with a 10 blade turbine wheel will make the turbo spool even faster and sound louder. Food for thought.
    Last edited by 2INSANE; 09-09-2022 at 11:50.

I looked into Wicked Wheel but they couldn't provide any spec to back up their claims so I passed on it
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    I looked into Wicked Wheel but they couldn't provide any spec to back up their claims so I passed on it
    If the billet wheel is lighter then the cast wheel, then I think the billet would be a better choice because they are claimed to be more durable.

"Billet" is overrated, and not necessarily better. Just saying.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I agree with Maverick

"Billet" is a catch phrase that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over used...

It sounds really cool and special.

Simple terms.....a part that is machined from a solid piece of stock rather than a Casting, forging, or a few other methods of manufacture......

"Billet buttons for the outhouse door" Ahhhh...Hmmmmm .....A waste of time in far too many cases....BUT IT SOUNDS COOL...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3pD7wJYY4iUh1-
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY