Thread: New Starter?

Default New Starter?

Does anyone make new starters for the 6.5 or just rebuilt? What's the best performing starter out their? Thanks

The best starter is yours, refreshed by a local, reputable shop. If done right, it should be the last starter you'll ever need.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

A rebuilt DONE CORRECTLY is a winner
    I agree with DMAX
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Powermaster 9052 is hard to beat, lifetime rebuilds if ever needed... I've used most all over the years and found the powermaster a few years ago and nothing compares for me... most rebuild places are using cheaper off shore parts to cut costs...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

+1 for the Powermaster. I put one in about 6 months ago. Not only does it work great, it just sounds more powerful than any of my previous starters in any vehicle. Plus it has the added bonus of (IMO anyway) better locations for the electrical connections, making it easier to hook up. Normally I remove the inner fender to replace the starter, which is the recommended procedure due to it being difficult to access everything; but now that I have the powermaster, I'm pretty sure I can replace it without doing that in the future due to where the terminals are located.
    1995 K2500 Suburban (aka The Hulk)

Is the Powermaster shorter and lighter so you don't use the front starter mount bracket?

No, use same bolts and bracket.
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
    No, use same bolts and bracket.
    I tried a power master but it sounded like it was taking teeth off flywheel when it disengaged. Sent back to powermaster and they said I had low voltage. And a little oil in it. I don't think so. Said they'd re b
    Rebuild for138.00. 4 month old starter. Ended up with a new delco from Rock Auto. Works and sounds great. I also have a powermaster on another truck and it's outstanding. Go figure!!

I'm installing a Powermaster 9052 on my 1999 K2500 Suburban with automatic transmission. The starter does not have a nosecone but is supposed to work with either manual or automatic transmission. However when I get the starter in position, there is a gap between the starter and the bell housing of the transmission. Is this normal? Or might I have the wrong starter? Or am I supposed to just run it with the gap?

Hi and Welcome
    add some pictures to your post please,we all like pictures.Pictures of the starter,and installed
    I personally have never head of a starter without a nosecone.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Here is a 9052 power master

These do not have a straddle mounted starter drive.....The pinion comes out the end of the starter motor..

Fairly common in the mini gear drive units

MAKE REAL CERTAIN THAT THE FORWARD FACING END OF THE STARTER HAS THE STUD/BOLT FOR THE SUPPORT HANGER THAT BOLTS TO THE BLOCK.
    Without the support hanger the bolts will break....or the block will.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY