Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to 6.5 have questions

Default Newbie to 6.5 have questions

Recently bought a 95 3500 with a 6.5 for my 17 year old son and have some questions that I can’t seem to find answers to.

1. While fixing a leaky fuel filter housing I discovered the oil supply line to the turbo came off a splitter where the oil pressure sensor goes. This mass of pipes and fittings rigged together is leaking and I want to return it to stock. Where is the stock oil feed for the turbo? What stock fittings do I need? Anyone have photos?

2. A mechanical injection pump has been fitted by the previous owner for “reliability” should I go back to the electric one ? Upsides/downside? All the original wiring seems to be there still but is a bit of a mess.

3. waste gate is completely disconnected from anything what should I do with this?

4. Stock fuel pump relay has been jumped by a manual switch under the dash I have read this could be my oil pressure sensor but not completely sure

5. Need some photos of stock wire harness routing along the firewall so I can get it back in place

6. Things that I need to check? Engine seems to run really well despite massive fuel leaks and obviously poorly maintained. Started up with one glow cycle in 20 degrees. Anything I need to watch out for?

Hi and Welcome
    Othere will /may chime in.
    1. That is the stock feed for the turbo
    2.No keep the mechanical pump you are way better off,is the tranny an automatic or manual?
    3 The Previous owner may have made a mechanical waste gate for the turbo,a couple of reasons for that.One is it's been converted to a mechanical pump,and the vacuum pump may have been deleted.If so you may come across a couple vacuum related issues depending on the tranny.
    4. I would contact Kennedy Diesel and get a fuel pump wiring harness from him and install it.
    5. Sorry i don't have a truck like that running so i can't provide any pic's,they are all under 4 ft of snow.
    6.Clean the cooling stack and make sure your cooling system is clean and working correctly,check thermostat,water pump,fan clutch and clean between the rad and AC condenser.The bottom of the fuel filter has been known to rot out.
    You should take some pictures of the mechanical pump,the wastegate from the turbo and the leaky fittings for the turbo and post them.Then some eyes can access the work done.
    Enjoy the new truck
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

1. It looks like a bunch of pipe fittings from Home Depot haha what sealant is best for them? I will get some photos later tonight

2. Yes it’s manual... should I still upgrade the lift pump? If so which one

3. Vacuum pump is gone and waste gate has nothing going to it I assume it’s a pressure regulated waste gate not vacuum as the turbo does currently work

4. I will do that

5. Just don’t see anything on the fire wall to attach the harness too like the google images I’ve seen

6.is the cooling stack the pipe where the thermostat is? Is dual thermostat better or stick with the single? Plan on the upgraded water pump and fan

How do you post photos to this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Polarisrmk View Post
    How do you post photos to this forum?
    Click the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the text editor you use to reply here. Select the source (URL or your device). Follow the instructions. If you are using a photo hosting site (Photobucket, etc.), copy the URL from there (refer to their instructions for offsite links), and paste it into the image dialog here. Photos you upload from your device should be automatically process (reduced in size if they are too large, etc.), but sometimes it just doesn't work for one reason or another. Please contact me if this happens.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

4CC14300-036E-4E6E-B04C-68C73F76150F.jpg

This is what I found when I removed the intake

Homemade upgrade. I've seen worse.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

The best thing i have learned for sealing threads is hemp.
    You have to put a little time into each set of threads,but i have never had a leak when hemp is used.The hemp swells when it gets in contact with fluids.
    But a good quality pipe dope will give good results.Teflon tape is often recommend against because if used improperly it can end up plugging small orifices.
    Take a picture of the turbo waste gate the PO may have dealt with it by making it manual controlled.
    Lift pump is the pump that supplies the injection pump.The OEM one is as good as any on these trucks.
    Cooling stack is what the assorted radiators are called.You will have the rad,maybe a AC condenser. Leaves and stuff build up between the two,oil is bad because it attracts stuffs and builds a mat that air cannot flow through.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Homemade upgrade. I've seen worse.
    Do you have any photos or parts list of what is should look like? is leaking pretty badly

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    The best thing i have learned for sealing threads is hemp.
    You have to put a little time into each set of threads,but i have never had a leak when hemp is used.The hemp swells when it gets in contact with fluids.
    But a good quality pipe dope will give good results.Teflon tape is often recommend against because if used improperly it can end up plugging small orifices.
    Take a picture of the turbo waste gate the PO may have dealt with it by making it manual controlled.
    Lift pump is the pump that supplies the injection pump.The OEM one is as good as any on these trucks.
    Cooling stack is what the assorted radiators are called.You will have the rad,maybe a AC condenser. Leaves and stuff build up between the two,oil is bad because it attracts stuffs and builds a mat that air cannot flow through.
    The waste gate just looks like a wastegate actuator with nothing attached to it, no hoses or anything... I will try and get a photo but theres not much to see

Quote Originally Posted by Polarisrmk View Post
    The waste gate just looks like a wastegate actuator with nothing attached to it, no hoses or anything... I will try and get a photo but theres not much to see
    Does it have a place for a (vacuum) hose? If not, it's probably a '93 version "spring-i- a-can".
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Does it have a place for a (vacuum) hose? If not, it's probably a '93 version "spring-i- a-can".
    yes there is a nipple for a hose but the wastegate actuator is under the turbo not like most of the pictures i have seen. This truck is honestly a mess. I am a Mercedes mechanic and it makes my ocd cringe. I want to get it as close to "stock" as I can then the kid can do whatever upgrades he wants.

If you're not running the stock pump and ECM then there is no reason to add the complexity of a stock wastegate assembly. Does the wastegate just flap in the breeze? If it's the stock turbocharger, I'd contact Kennedy Diesel for a manual wastegate controller.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    If you're not running the stock pump and ECM then there is no reason to add the complexity of a stock wastegate assembly. Does the wastegate just flap in the breeze? If it's the stock turbocharger, I'd contact Kennedy Diesel for a manual wastegate controller.
    I believe its a pressure opened waste gate like a holset turbo has cause the turbo is working. I will hook my vacuum/pressure tester up to it tonight and see what it does. if it is pressure actuated then I will just need to plumb it into the intake and figure out what pressure its set at. Do the 6.5's suffer from high egt with excess boost like om engines, thats really my main concern and over spooling and sending the turbo through the engine.

Best advice i can give you is to replace harmonic balancer and check for any flex plate wobble.

Quote Originally Posted by 2INSANE View Post
    Best advice i can give you is to replace harmonic balancer and check for any flex plate wobble.
    I read about the harmonic balancer I will be sure to do that ... luckily it’s a manual so no flex plate

How does the mechanical injection pump on these compensate fuel for boost ... on Bosch inline pumps I’m used to there is a boost line to a compensation device that increases fuel with boost in simple terms...

Frankly, you have it backwards. Fuel IS boost. More fuel (under load) is more boost. Increasing fuel with more boost is talking to the wrong end of the horse.

The Bosch later model mechanical inline pumps advance timing with increased boost (not fuel volume). The (mechanical) Stanadyne pumps don't do that by an means of feedback, other than throttle position. It has a timing advance cam on the throttle that advances timing with increased input. The end result is similar, but not really significantly different in the real world, and the Stanadyne works effectively for turbo and N/A applications. If you want greater efficiency than either of them, you'll have to move up to an electronic system. Such is where we are today.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Frankly, you have it backwards. Fuel IS boost. More fuel (under load) is more boost. Increasing fuel with more boost is talking to the wrong end of the horse.

The Bosch later model mechanical inline pumps advance timing with increased boost (not fuel volume). The (mechanical) Stanadyne pumps don't do that by an means of feedback, other than throttle position. It has a timing advance cam on the throttle that advances timing with increased input. The end result is similar, but not really significantly different in the real world, and the Stanadyne works effectively for turbo and N/A applications. If you want greater efficiency than either of them, you'll have to move up to an electronic system. Such is where we are today.
    yes I understand that was trying to be short. I understand what u are saying
    Bosch pumps have the Alda for boost feedback

Just figured out it’s a 6.2 engine with all the 6.5 stuff bolted to it ... did I get screwed?