Thread: Just Bought 2000 3500HD with Everything Stock--Need Advice on Gauges and/or Tuner

Default Just Bought 2000 3500HD with Everything Stock--Need Advice on Gauges and/or Tuner

I just bought a 2000 Chevrolet 3500HD stake bed that i want to convert to a dump truck.
    IMG_20210329_175845718_HDR.jpg
    It has 86K miles, and runs good other than it's very hard to start when it's cold. It also has a lot of oil coming out of the turbo area, though it isn't dripping. It has the 4L80E Auto Transmission, and is an "F" VIN engine with California Specs (catalyst).

Everything on it is stock--PMD location, exhaust, fuel pump, etc.

I pulled the connection off the front of the turbo, and it's very oily, as are the lines coming to it from the engine. It's also oily between the turbo and the engine intake. The turbo, however, is tight... no wiggle either side to side or fore and aft.

I've ordered a Flight Systems PMD Relocation Kit, an OPS bypass/Lift Pump upgrade harness (from Leroy Diesel), a new lift pump and "PCV" valve, and will be getting a set of glow plugs.

I also want to install a 4" exhaust system, go to a manual waste gate controller, remove the vacuum pump and will ultimately upgrade the lift pump system and install a remote fuel filter kit.

This brings up some questions:

1. Has anyone installed an aftermarket 4" exhaust on one of these trucks, i.e. Diamond Eye, Flo Pro, etc. If so, other than the length of the pipe from the down pipe to the muffler and tail pipe will a system for a C/K 3500 fit?--down pipe, crossover, etc.

I want to get a gage setup to show EGT, Boost, and Tranny temperatures. I put a Glow Shift Combination Gage on my 95 K2500 when I upgraded it and I'm not happy with it. The EGT portion is easy to read, but the digital boost and temp part of the gage are obscured by reflections and hard to see in bright light. The mount is also pretty cheesy... thin metal that doesn't hold it very securely.

I want to get a better gage setup for this truck, and am also considering getting a programmer, like an Edge, etc. so I can tailor it to different driving conditions, i.e. towing a trailer, unloaded, etc. I know many of programmers have read outs that show EGT, etc. Is it practical to just buy the programmer and use it to monitor those items?

2. Any recommendations on type of programmer, considering my somewhat miserly budget?

3. Any recommendations on glow plugs? I've been told that the Bosch glow plugs have quality problems... I'm leaning to just AC Delco plugs.

Thanks,

Smitty
    Last edited by utah smitty; 04-01-2021 at 17:16. Reason: Needed to ask another question

Hello
    Welcome to TDP
    Sounds like a pretty good rig.

The sloppy intake into the turbo is not all that uncommon.

With the engine running...remove the oil filler cap and observe the amount of blowby.
    Raise the RPM slowly and see if the blowby goes away.

The CDR can on the Pass. side valve cover may be bad.

These engines can exhibit excess blowby....I had a 94 the did that from the time it was new...Turbo inlet was always sloppy.

The exhaust systems you spoke of are all OK

I had a diamond eye on a rig.
    The last 6.5 I had was fitted with a Banks exhaust.
    Not sure on swapping parts from the C/K to the HD.

DELCO 60G glow plugs....stay away from any fast glow types.

My last truck had a Chip in it....it was by Bill Heath.
    Can't help with any tuners....as I have zero experience with one on a 6.5

Thanks for your information. How does the chip work for you? Is it in a newer model 96+?

Regards,

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by utah smitty View Post
    Thanks for your information. How does the chip work for you? Is it in a newer model 96+?

Regards,

Smitty
    "Chips", the real chips, were used in 1995 and prior computer controlled years (gasser or Diesel), specific to OBD-I. It is a real chip, that plugs into PCM. 1996 and later have no chips, and requires reprogramming of the OBD-II PCM, which is true to this day. The term "chip" is commonly referred as any program update, whether it involves an actual chip or not.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Check out one of the vendors here John Kennedy. He knows these motors and is a supporter of the page. He will tell you correct answers not what you want to hear and not just to make a sale.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Thanks, I'll do that.

Smitty

My truck was a 95 and it had an aftermarket chip in it when I got it...but it was flakey.
    I installed a Bill Heath chip that we decided on....Always worked fine.

John Kennedy can serve you well....
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY