Thread: Battery died

Default Battery died

Went to start this morning and nothing. Checked left bat 12.23 v right bat 11.24
    Put battery charger on right and after a while i have warning lights blinking on and off with a faint buzzer in time with the warning lights lower left dash.
    Batteries were new 8/22/16 so its about time. But this flashing/buzzing has me confused.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Mama has a device that does the same thing when the batteries are low....
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Disconnect BOTH batteries completely, ground a Batt+ cable to chassis for 30 minutes. This should clear any odd errors in the system. Reconnect ONLY the LEFT battery, until both can be replaced. Connect the Batt+ cable to the bad battery, but leave the ground open and secured out of the way (prevents incidental grounding, and secures the duplex connector). One bad battery can take down the entire system and play havoc with the computers. One healthy battery will do fine during moderate climate. I ran my 2001 with only one Yellow Top for nearly a year after the other died (after about 10 years) before replacing both. I would not routinely recommend this on a 2003+ model (significantly more complex electronics), but in a pinch...
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Disconnect BOTH batteries completely, ground a Batt+ cable to chassis for 30 minutes. This should clear any odd errors in the system. Reconnect ONLY the LEFT battery, until both can be replaced. Connect the Batt+ cable to the bad battery, but leave the ground open and secured out of the way (prevents incidental grounding, and secures the duplex connector). One bad battery can take down the entire system and play havoc with the computers. One healthy battery will do fine during moderate climate. I ran my 2001 with only one Yellow Top for nearly a year after the other died (after about 10 years) before replacing both. I would not routinely recommend this on a 2003+ model (significantly more complex electronics), but in a pinch...
    thank you very much I will try that.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Well did as you suggested Mr. DmaxMacerick, no joy. Was disconnected and grounded for an hour and 15 minutes. First try engine lights were normal. But no crank at all. Second attempt and engine light and buzzing in dash started all over again.
    whats possibility it is in ignition switch? looked under dash not like my 94 was. going to research that next.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Grounding only clears up previous issues. It won't cure an ongoing problem.

Not likely the ign. switch. Probably a loose connection or poor contact, likely at the starter solenoid or battery terminal. Remove, clean and reconnect all of them. Careful to not overtighten the solenoid lug.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I have tried for codes and there are none. Don't think its related but I did replace the horn relay yesterday it had gotten very intermittent.

When i turn ignition to Accessory on all is fine. When I turn ignition on all dash warning lights start flashing off and on, CD starts going crazy then tries to eject disk that's not in it and buzzing sound I think is a blend door motor cycling back and forth with the flashing of dash lights.

I have searched ignition switch problems and watched a bunch of videos but nothing compares to what I'm seeing.

Pulled ignition switch and checked for voltage in and have it on two wires 12.3 volts. If I turn on 4 way flashers or headlights when all the flashing is going on it stops and goes dead until I cycle the switch again. could it be I have lost body ground? Interior lights work, trailer brake controller is lighting up. Radio works, just everything else goes crazy.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Just back probed the plug going into ignition switch and can get lights on dash partial steady on one lead. then the next lead get rest of lights cant get starter to engage.

Next I'll try starter connections.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

It still sounds like a poor Batt+ connection issue, possibly the Acc. lead. It has a starter relay in the underhood fuse box. Try switching it with another of the same. Also, just because an old battery is showing good voltage, or even passes a load test, doesn't mean it isn't bad and causing issues. How many times have you (heard of) taken a battery to the parts store for a test, and told the battery is good, when they aren't? Later model computer vehicles are much more demanding of clean power than older models.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

You probably have to charge the remaining good battery...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    You probably have to charge the remaining good battery...
    Thats been done, Waiting for rain to quit now.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Low battery voltage can mess up the security system. I had this issue with my 2006 when I replaced the batteries. A friend who was a service manager at a Chev dealer told me to make sure the hood and all doors are shut prior to starting the truck and that did the the trick. He also told me a ECM security relearn may be needed if shutting all the doors/hood didn't work.

Jay
    2023 Tahoe 3.0l diesel
    2013 Harley Switchback
    2021 Ram 2500 6.7l (sold)
    2018 Chevy Traverse (sold)
    2021 Silverado 3.0l LM2 (sold)
    2019 GMC Sierra 6.2l (sold)
    2019 Colorado ZR2(sold)
    2017 2500HD CC D/A (sold)
    2015 1500 CC High Country 6.2l (sold)
    2010 Chev 2500HD CC D/A (sold)
    2013 Chev 2500HD CC D/A (sold)
    2006 Chev 3500 CC D/A (sold)
    2005 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by cabletech View Post
    Low battery voltage can mess up the security system. I had this issue with my 2006 when I replaced the batteries. A friend who was a service manager at a Chev dealer told me to make sure the hood and all doors are shut prior to starting the truck and that did the the trick. He also told me a ECM security relearn may be needed if shutting all the doors/hood didn't work.

Jay
    Thanks for that advise. Was looking at pulling the right front wheel and fender well and decided to take the batteries to have them checked instead. Left was toast and right was questionable. Put new batteries in and lights came on like they should. Fired right up. Only thong now is it says time for oil change. By the odometer its about 400 miles away so that's next on my list.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold