Thread: Question: Old or New?

Default Question: Old or New?

I have a 2002 2500HD that I bought new. Except for the fact that I just installed the third set of injectors in 150,000 miles, the truck has otherwise been flawless. Fortunately, I can now install injectors in my sleep. so not an issue. My question is with regard to longevity. I hear lots of stories of these Duramax trucks running 400k. However, I don't want to be three states away towing a heavy load when something goes wrong. I was thinking about purchasing a new Duramax truck, but don't like all of the emissions stuff that has been added. Common sense tells me I'm just as likely to break down with a new truck because of that emissions crap. I need some candid thoughts about the pros and cons of sticking with my old truck vs. buying new.

I have a 06 with 408,000 on it...I replaced a turbo and a transmission..the trans was my fault, I didn’t change the oil..
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Quote Originally Posted by Vetman7 View Post
    I have a 2002 2500HD that I bought new. Except for the fact that I just installed the third set of injectors in 150,000 miles, the truck has otherwise been flawless. Fortunately, I can now install injectors in my sleep. so not an issue. My question is with regard to longevity. I hear lots of stories of these Duramax trucks running 400k. However, I don't want to be three states away towing a heavy load when something goes wrong. I was thinking about purchasing a new Duramax truck, but don't like all of the emissions stuff that has been added. Common sense tells me I'm just as likely to break down with a new truck because of that emissions crap. I need some candid thoughts about the pros and cons of sticking with my old truck vs. buying new.
    Injector life is somewhat dependent on fuel quality and the lubrication of that fuel. I watched a video recently about this very issue, that discussed why the first gen LB7 injectors weren't lasting like they do for newer gen trucks. The blame was placed on the design of the nozzles and other hi-pressure components used in the injectors - not being fully up to the task. There is something called SAC00 nozzles, which were designed for the higher pressure fuel injection systems (and ultra low sulfur diesel fuel) used in the LLY and newer Duramax 6600. Fortunately, companies are offering new or reman LB7 Bosch injectors with the SAC00 parts, and are seeing a pronounced improvement in injector life. Kennedydiesel.com is a retailer for those injectors.

Secondarily, there is a plethora of questionable injector sources out there in the world... a lot of offshore knock-off crap and too many questionable tailgate retailers. Buy from a reputable source, even if the cost is higher.

If you are having a fuel quality issue in your area, buy a better filtration system and use a commercial diesel fuel treatment that adds both cetane and lubricity.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 06-24-2021 at 09:02.