Thread: How difficult is it to work on the horn?

Default How difficult is it to work on the horn?

The horn has never worked, well maybe 4 times since 2006...fuse is ok and wiring to the horn is ok
    Getting around the air bag makes me nervous

Thoughts
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Mine tends to not work on the top[ left side. Replaced relay in box on fender worked a couple times then got temperamental again. Could disconnect batteries would think that would disable air bags. Youtube would be your friend here.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Not difficult at all. When my 2001 was new, the horn worked for about a month before it went missing. Now that I think of it, nearly every new GM vehicle I've had did the same at one time or another.

Pull the SRS/airbag system fuses, then disconnect the YELLOW connector near the column that goes up to the airbag. Any/all airbag connectors will be bright yellow. The airbag will now be disconnected from the system, and it can be removed from the steering wheel. I'm not certain on the 2006, but earlier models were simple. (If they are the same or similar) Rotate the steering wheel to 90° from center and locate a slot at the top. Use a long/thin tool (screwdriver) to move the clip left or right (depending on which way the wheel was turned) to disengage the wire clip. You should feel it spring away from the post. The airbag should pull away a little once the clip is disengaged. Rotate the wheel 180° and repeat on the other side. The airbag should pull away from the wheel, and you can now access the yellow connector to completely remove the airbag.

Again, I'm not certain about the 2006, but the horn contact button can be accessed without removing the wheel on earlier models. A plastic push/turn/pull insert is all that contains the contact and spring. Usually, cleaning the contact point with alcohol then greasing with dielectric grease (tune-up grease) is all that's needed to correct it. You can test the horn circuit by grounding the wire contact (should sound the horn), and checking the contact ring (through the hole in the steering wheel) for continuity to ground. Be careful to not scratch either contact, or they can wear out more quickly. Reinstall everything in reverse order.

[edit]
    Disconnecting the batteries doesn't account for stray voltage that may remain in the system, and if the batteries are disconnected, the horn won't work, if it works.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Just get a sticker that says "horn broke ,watch for finger"
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

I'll try again to add some content to 2006 K3500 horn removal
    clip.jpg This is what the bottom side of the clip looks like
    Access thru side.jpg Access thru side of steering columb
    Target to release .jpgThis is what you need to press to release air bag

I hope this is of some help to removing your air bag
    And don't do like I did, drive around for two days wondering why I had air bag warning light and service air bag message. Re connect the plug under the steering column when your done.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold