Thread: 06 P0193 code only after 40 mins driving

Default 06 P0193 code only after 40 mins driving

I have a weird one. Helping my buddy fix his truck that he said would cut out and have no power and sometime die on him. When I got ahold of it it had a ton of codes on it but the 3 concerning ones were the MAF, IAT sensors and a low fuel pressure code.

I bought the IAT and MAF sensors today and installed them (found bad connection at the harness of the IAT but replaced the sensors anyways).Cleared the codes and fired the truck up and great news, no CEL.

took the truck for a spin and everything was running great, surface streets, highway, WIde open throttle etc. then after 45 mins while at a stop light the idle started to surge, truck acted as if it was starving for fuel and just died.

it started it up reluctantly and I limped it into a parking lot sputtering and bogging down like it wasn’t getting fuel. Checked the codes and I got a P0193 high fuel pressure alarm. From there I figured I could limp it home, but no luck, it kept dying even cruising at 30mph it would sputter and just die and coast until I could get pulled over. Sometimes it would start right up then die when I tried to go, sometimes would start and die instantly, every time registering (2) P0193 codes. Sometimes it wouldn’t stay running until I let it sit for 20 mins.

I left it in a parking lot and went back 5 hours later and drove it home and it ran great, no codes, gobs of power etc. after talking to my friend he says it always seems to happen after 30-45 mins of driving and once it cools down you are good to go for another 30-45 mins.

after doing some research on these forums I’m thinking it’s the fuel regulator (big job) but I can’t wrap my head around why it’s only after 30-45 minutes and is literally instantly undriveable with no warning. Seems like majority of the regulator issues are on cold starts with most people. Help me figure this thing out!

Welcome aboard!

It certainly could be the FPR. High heat can see them fail after a heat soak, such as driving for a while, especially in the S/W these last few weeks. Run a pin-out test on the connector immediately after a failure for a look at what's going on with it. If you don't have a service manual, get one (www.alldatadiy.com). The diagnostic flow chart runs through the fuel pressure system in detail. You'll need to read voltage and resistance. A Tech II is recommended, but not necessary to test the FPR and related sensors.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Could also be due to hot thin fuel and excessive fuel return flow.

Clean the fuel cooler just ahead of the fuel tank. These need to be done periodically...

Does this problem appear early in the day when it's cooler?

As a test, try to repeat the symptoms with a full tank of fuel. A full tank is a much larger heat sink.

Youtube has a video showing how to fairly easily measure fuel return flow.

Jim

Default Fuel cap

Try to loosen the fuel cap and test drive he truck. When I purchased my D/A RV it had a locking gas cap on it for a gas fuel tank (unvented) and the RV had problems much like you are having. Additionally, I agree with Jim clean the fuel cooler and never run less than half a tank of fuel in hot weather. If you run less than half a tank of fuel on a hot day is likely to bring up a P0087 code.
    Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .