Update: Pulled all the glow plugs. On the passenger side, the first three cylinders were dry. The number 8 plug was wet, and when I removed the plug, coolant dribbled out of the hole. I then proceeded to the driver side, and the first two plugs were dry, number 5 was damp, and number 7 was really wet. In fact, when I pulled that plug, a lot of coolant came out, and continued to drip coolant for some time (even after draining and removing the radiator).

Cylinder 8 glow plug removed:

Cylinder 7 glow plug removed:

This is the amount of coolant that drained out of cylinder 7 after removing the glow plug:

I was confused to find coolant in both rear cylinders; I would have expected to find it one side of the engine, but not both; I started wondering if there was a block issue?

I went ahead and proceeded with removing the driver's side head since cylinder 7 seemed to be in the worst shape:

The head gasket on cylinder 7 was obviously blown out into the water jacket on the rear of the head:

I can't hardly get my head into cylinder 7, but so far I don't see any cracks or catastrophic damage. In fact, I was shocked to see how clean the cylinders and pistons were! There's not even a ridge at the top of any of the cylinders.

I have decided to go ahead and pull the engine the rest of the way out; at this point, the only thing left holding it into the vehicle are the motor mounts and the transmission. I might as well get it out on the stand where I can do a proper head gasket job. Also, the passenger side exhaust manifold bolts are in such poor shape, I'm not sure I can get the manifold out without a lot of cussing. It will be easier to pull the engine and work on the exhaust manifold then.

At this point, assuming I don't find major block issues on the passenger side after pulling that head, my plan is to pull the oil pan, check a few bearings, and if all looks good in the bottom end, I will then throw in a new oil pump, rear main seal, and install new head gaskets. I might as well replace the injectors while it's easy to do, and perhaps upgrade the turbo to an HX35. I will also take the opportunity to replace the torque converter, since lately I've noticed it slipping when towing my camper. That is really as far as I want to go; I don't want to do a full rebuild if not needed.

Casey