Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1992 6.5 crank no start

Default 1992 6.5 crank no start

The last time it ran was May 10th and I try to start it every 3-4 months. Last time I tried to start it was a month ago and it cranked fine but didn't even seem to try to start. Want to get it running before the cold temperatures add another aspect to the problem and it will be over 80° the next few days. The glow plugs are working and the lift pump is pulsing. Those items and the controller were replaced a few years ago. I also put in this clear fuel line but don't remember what for.

I think it was to check fuel flow or air bubbles. Well the line has become dark and I can't see anything so I may have to replace it. What can I check in the meantime?

A clear line on the return is helpful to identify bubbles in the fuel, and there should be none. Bubbles that continue make clearing an air-locked fuel pump impossible. Normally, a person would not install a clear line at the IP return without reason, like a no-start.

Once the clear line is replaced (and useful), check the ESS (Engine Stop Solenoid). It should clunk at key on/off. If it still doesn't start in a reasonable time, charge the batteries while you remove as many glow plugs as you can reasonably reach. This will expedite getting fuel to the cylinders. It's also a good time to function test the glow plugs. Apply 12V to them until hot. Working glow plugs get stupid hot really fast, so don't touch! If they don't heat, replace. Rarely, they can still show continuity but not heat. Once the batteries are fully charged, crank until you get fuel mist from the glow plug holes. Don't overdo it, as it can get messy. As soon as you see fuel, replace the plugs, and anything else removed. Try a normal start. If you never get the fuel mist from the GP holes, come back and continue this thread, looking for lesser common issues.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

An anomaly here...
    Thread title 1992 6.5......1992 did not have the DS4 injection pump.
    A 1992 should have a DB2 Mechanical pump.
    DS4 non start with glow plugs working and fuel delivery....
    The driver module on the LH side of the IP is a prime suspect.....

These fail when they fail....No way to predict a failure...

Remove a couple glow plugs on the LH side of the engine....Spin the engine....You should see fuel mist spray out.....No fuel...NO START

As Maverick mentioned....Fuel shut off solenoid...Round unit near the front of the Injector pump.
    Easy to check....No click....Suspect...

If solenoid works...Then the driver is suspect....(FSD....PMD) BLACK BOX....
    SWAP in a known good unit....."These must be mounted on a heat sink for operation"

But a short test...(Few seconds) without the heat sink will not hurt....

Bad PMD....Remote mount a fresh PMD on a heat sink.....Extension cables are available online
    The electrical plug to the PMD can be carefully fished off the box....

There is a resistor in the PMD plug.
    Getting it out with the PMD on the IP is tough

Use a #5....Should be fine...

With what Maverick has posted and what I have should get you to the root of the issue....

Remove glow plugs first and give it a spin...no fuel....??? go from there....
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Use a #5....Should be fine...
    You should be able to read the current resistor number from the PCM, if you want to be a purist.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

I'm a little confused here? If it's a stock '92, it's mech. inj. and a DB2 IP, no PMD, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    An anomaly here...
    Thread title 1992 6.5......1992 did not have the DS4 injection pump.
    A 1992 should have a DB2 Mechanical pump.
    I don't think anybody said it had a DS4? This is a stock 1992 6.5 TD. My initial plan of attack is to directly energize the lift pump and open the bleed valve on the filter to make sure the pump is working.

Look at the picture...

(Good catch, Robyn!)

Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Yes, it was a good catch. Disregard my post.

I didn't see a pic the first time around. Must have scrolled right past it before it loaded. I see it now, and yeah, that's not a stock 92. The picture title says 99 GMC, so the pic may not be the same as he's actually working on. If he says stock 92, then that's what it is, despite the pic.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    I didn't see a pic the first time around. Must have scrolled right past it before it loaded. I see it now, and yeah, that's not a stock 92. The picture title says 99 GMC, so the pic may not be the same as he's actually working on. If he says stock 92, then that's what it is, despite the pic.
    Say what? This is a screen shot of my post that says nothing about a 99 GMC picture. Where do you see that?

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Say what? This is a screen shot of my post that says nothing about a 99 GMC picture. Where do you see that?
    The pic isn't of a stock 1992 model anything. Either wrong truck or wrong pic. Late 1992 model year began the 6.5TD, and it was MFI. The 1994 model year began the EFI systems. The image properties of the pic you attached shows the location and original file name: "https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/d106/atikovi/379330d1440375876-1999-gmc-bluebird-6-5l-td-pmd-resistor-settings-clear-return-line-3_1_.jpg"

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that the math doesn't add up. Let's move past this and get your truck running.

gnome-shell-screenshot-OFYID2.jpg
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

The first thing I saw was the piccy....Then HUH ?????

We need to establish a real visual of the injection pump.....
    No matter....The picture shown is a 1994 or later 6.5 with a DS4
    Several different avenues of attack on this puppy...Depending on the IP that's on it.....
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Valve covers say something like, GM Remanufactured Engine. Did someone put in a newer engine and injection pump? Data plate,

So, I'm confused. Is the picture of the truck you're working on? If so, it's not a '92 injection pump. To put a late pump in an early truck you'd have to rewire the whole truck. Not that anyone would want to do that, anyhow. The mechanical pumps are much more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    So, I'm confused. Is the picture of the truck you're working on? If so, it's not a '92 injection pump. To put a late pump in an early truck you'd have to rewire the whole truck. Not that anyone would want to do that, anyhow. The mechanical pumps are much more reliable.
    The title says 1992, looks like a 92 grille,

According to the VIN, and the last pic, it's a 1992 3500HD. This is not a light truck, or pickup truck. It's a medium duty chassis. No matter, as the 1992 3500HD was MFI, as well. The first pic, of the IP and a finger pointing to the return line, is from a different Diesel automotive forum website thread, May 4, 2015. The vehicle of discussion in that forum thread was a 1999 GMC 6.5TD in a Bluebird school bus to RV conversion, having stalling issues.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    The first pic, of the IP and a finger pointing to the return line, is from a different Diesel automotive forum website thread, May 4, 2015. The vehicle of discussion in that forum thread was a 1999 GMC 6.5TD in a Bluebird school bus to RV conversion, having stalling issues.
    I think I know what's up with that picture now. Back when I got the truck 13 years ago I was having starting problems and someone from another forum showed where to add that clear line to see if there is any air in the system. I downloaded it to my album for reference and forgot where it came from after all these years.

Thanks for that, atikovi. This one had me scratching my head.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet

I was starting to think we had us a strange one...

The issue with the no start is similar....But different

The mechanical IP has the shutoff solenoid under the top cap on the IP
    The heavy red wire is the power wire to the solenoid

Pull a couple glow plugs on the Driver side....Spin the engine....see if fuel fogs out the glow plug holes....

If no fuel....Possible fuel drain back and air locked IP

The other possible is the shutoff solenoid has failed...

With the red wire on the ip disconnected.....Turn on ign key
    Touch the red wire connector to the spade....YOU SHOULD HEAR A CLICK from the IP

Let us know what you get....WE can proceed from there...

Went back to the truck for some testing. Powered the lift pump directly and opened the bleed valve on the filter. For 5 seconds there was gurgling and air coming out, then a solid stream of fuel. Cranked again and no start.

Went to the shut off solenoid and pulled the pink wire. It has power with the key on, and when I put power to the solenoid I hear a faint click. Put power directly to the solenoid and still no start.

Put on a new clear hose. Is fuel supposed to flow with the lift pump on and engine off? Or with the solenoid energized? I see flow only when cranking.

I think I should put a fuel pressure gauge on the system and maybe replace the filter.