Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The ol' Tahoe is down for the count - coolant in cylinder(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    I figure for under 5 grand I will have a new engine, new transmission, and rebuilt transfer case. I couldn't buy another decent 6.5L rig for that money, and it would barely be a down payment on a new truck.....
    That's how I feel about working on my "ancient" vehicles - what I spend in a year on maintenance and repairs would barely cover a month or two of a new car payment.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Once the lockup clutch starts to slip it will eventually eat up the turbine cover and that fills the tranny full of metal.

The valve body in the 4L80 are aluminum and do not deal with metal debris well at all.

Good time to gitterdone.....
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Update 10/4/21

I have had very little time to work on the ol' Tahoe recently. However, I have amassed a pile of parts, and was finally able to make a start on reassembly this weekend.

This is where I'm currently at:

The block has been completely cleaned, the cylinders honed, the head bolts chased with a tap, and I got the crankshaft dropped back in with all the clearances checked and caps properly torqued. I am now ready to move on towards putting new rings on the pistons and dropping them in.

The heads are back from the shop with a clean surface and clean bill of health:

And the transmission and transfer case are back from the shop and ready to drop in:

It's nice to see some actual progress after being down for over 2 months.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Looking good! Slow progress is still progress. Rarely does anything move at a pace we'd prefer. In any case, I'd rather be slow than wrong.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Looks great.

Once you get rolling it will move pretty fast.....
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Update 10/11/21

I made some more progress on the 'ol Tahoe this weekend. I was able to finish checking all the ring end gaps, got the pistons installed, checked all the rod bearing clearances, installed the timing chain, and got the heads torqued down:

I then took a few minutes to mock up my "new" HX35 turbo to see what all needs to be done. Looks like I all need to do is cut off a small portion of the upper intake inlet piping, and she should bolt up! Then I need to rig up a bracket to install the proper TurboMaster wastegate controller:

I found a local guy on FB Marketplace who had a PT Wiring Solutions HX35 exhaust outlet adapter he didn't need, so I grabbed it and it will make this turbo swap pretty painless and hookup to my existing downpipe.

She's coming along, but unfortunately I won't have much time over the next 3 weeks to work on her!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Looking good
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Sure looks like you are "gettin her done" now! Good Luck Casey!
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Good to see it coming together!
    Diesel Page Member #2423

I found a local guy on FB Marketplace who had a PT Wiring Solutions HX35 exhaust outlet adapter he didn't need, so I grabbed it and it will make this turbo swap pretty painless and hookup to my existing downpipe.
    What's interesting is that Bruce Kirkendall (PT Wiring Solutions) became a subscribing member here in May 2012 shortly after we published a great 6.5 turbo related article (that showed how to install a Holset turbo on the 6.5 along with a lot of technical data on the 6.5 and turbochargers in general). He then inquired about advertising. I responded that I'd work with him to make it work. I didn't hear from him again. I'm disappointed that he doesn't acknowledge The Diesel Page. His Holset turbo parts look just like those we discussed in an article in March 2012.
    Last edited by More Power; 10-26-2021 at 10:06.

...clip

I also came across this in my GM service manual:

I know that resurfacing can be done (I've done it with success on my old 6.2L), but would I be wise to get the .010 thicker gasket from Felpro to make up for the milling on the heads?

Casey
    The thicker gaskets are more for when decking the block. A good engine shop will reset the valve seat depth and valve stem length when resurfacing the heads. This was done on the Blazer's heads a few months ago, even though the deck surfaces weren't touched (did the seats, adjusted valve stem lengths).

Default Update 11/1/21

I haven't had much time to work on her (as usual), but I am making progress.

I installed the new oil pump and reinstalled the oil pan. I also replaced the plastic buttons on the rocker assemblies, installed the pushrods and rocker assemblies, and then decided to prime the complete oil system while the engine was still on the stand.

First, I made a bypass hose to make a circuit on the oil cooler ports:

Then I followed Robyn's advice in previous posts to make a manual oil pump drive using a spare pump drive. I ground the teeth off the drive, removed the cap off the top of the drive, and then welded a nut to the drive shaft:

This allowed me to use a drill to drive the oil pump and create oil pressure through the whole engine:

This worked great, allowing me to fully pressurize the oiling system, and to circulate oil throughout the whole engine. It took several minutes of pumping, but I finally got oil to all the rockers:

I then sealed the valve covers on. This is the most recent pic I have, before the oiling and before the valve covers went on:

I felt a lot better about checking the oil system before getting the engine installed in the vehicle. Plus, it was a whole lot easier to prime this way! The only drawback is that the pump drive leaks quite a bit of oil up through the top of the shaft and out onto the top of the engine. I ended up making a little funnel to divert the oil away and keep things cleaned up while I primed the system.

Next up is to install the new injectors and reinstall the injection lines; then the engine will be nearly ready to drop back in. I need to powerwash the engine bay and install some new motor mounts, set the transmission and transfer case back in the framerails, and then I should be ready to set the engine in.

Casey

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Getting closer!

I have all the injectors installed, and have started cleaning and installing the old injection lines. Slowly but surely.....

Casey

Looking great.....

Wont be long now..
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Looking good!
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Getting closer!

I have all the injectors installed, and have started cleaning and installing the old injection lines. Slowly but surely.....

Casey
    Looks great! Looks familiar....

It'll feel good getting it bolted in. I installed the starter & heat shield and right-angle oil filter assy while it was on the engine stand. There's no negative I can think of for doing it. Just be a little careful.

It appears the transmission lines clip is missing on your oil pan rail. It goes under the 2nd (or maybe 3rd) bolt from the front on the passenger side. I also installed the exhaust manifolds on both sides before it went in.

I tweaked by back on Saturday, so I haven't begun the injector install yet in daughter's Blazer.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Looks great! Looks familiar....

It appears the transmission lines clip is missing on your oil pan rail. It goes under the 2nd (or maybe 3rd) bolt from the front on the passenger side. I also installed the exhaust manifolds on both sides before it went in.
    Ah yes, I forgot about the lines clip, thanks for pointing that out!

Casey

Ah yes, I forgot about the lines clip, thanks for pointing that out!

Casey
    I noticed the missing trans cooling lines clip only because I pondered where mine went for quite a while... I didn't know where the clip went till I got that spare engine a while back. Luckily, it still had the clip on the pan rail.

There are two support rods that bolt onto the trans bellhousing cover and extend forward. The longest one mounts to the starter side of the engine and bolts onto a bracket on the block side of the passenger side motor mount. The shorter rod... I don't know what/where the forward end bolts to.

Oh, and I recommend you not have the Oil Pressure Switch installed till after the engine is in... The OPS is fragile.

I have seen a plate between the motor mount and the block for the rods to attach too.
    It's just a flat plate that extends past the mount with a hole in it.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews