Hey folks!

Just joined and first post! I've got an 84' CUCV 6.2l which I turbocharged (w/ 90's GM parts) and relocated the batteries in boxes near the tailgate.

This summer (live inland Socal, typical summer day is 100) I'm having the classic hot start issue. I've read tons of posts and found a few things. I can pour water on the IP
and then it will start much easier after sitting when hot but the Injection pump only has maybe 5000 miles on it - it's a Moose pump from Conestoga diesel so should be a quality rebuild and has worked great for me so far. This is getting me to look at the fuel delivery to the IP and starting speed before going down the IP road.

-I have a carter electric fuel pump which appears to be pumping fine, just ordered a fuel gauge to install so I can verify the PSI I'm getting at the IP.

-Starter is a Powermaster 9052 I put in a few years ago but I barely drive the truck so it's not like it has a lot of wear and tear.

-Batteries are Odysseys 75/86-PC 1230 (w 760 CCA each) that are maybe a year old.

The batteries were relocated years ago and didn't have any hot start issues back then but the cranking speed has always seem a little reduced after that project. I ran a set of 2 gauge cables for each battery from the boxes to the junction block on the firewall. It just has the stock 2g cable from junction block to the starter.

Question 1: For my troubleshooting process I'm hoping to increase cranking speed for one. I'm wondering if increasing the starter cable size will help but can't seem to figure out
what the optimal size would be - 1/0, 2/0 etc? (considering two 2g cables from the batteries feed it via junction block). I've wondered if I should have ran 1/0 cables for the battery relocation but that's something I would only consider later especially since after the job the truck always started fine.

Question 2 : Most threads say the water trick points to a worn IP. But if mine is supposedly a newish quality rebuild is that even possible? Could it have worn quicker than normal or possibly been rebuilt with parts that were marginal in their clearances?

Thanks ahead of time!!
David