Thread: Piston Ring Selection

Default Piston Ring Selection

I typically have used Sealed Power piston rings in the past. However, there is a HUGE price difference these days....

Sealed Power set is $424.79, while the Mahle/Clevite is only $108.79. What gives with that? Are the Mahle rings a good choice?

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

50 bucks a hole for rings is beyond crazy. I don't recall Sealed Power ever being that expensive. Perhaps they're made of unobtanium now.

I'm not aware any downfalls with Mahle/Clevite rings. Clevite was a go-to for many years, years ago. If the quality fell off, for any reason, someone would be talking about it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    50 bucks a hole for rings is beyond crazy. I don't recall Sealed Power ever being that expensive. Perhaps they're made of unobtanium now.

I'm not aware any downfalls with Mahle/Clevite rings. Clevite was a go-to for many years, years ago. If the quality fell off, for any reason, someone would be talking about it.

I had my local auto supply check into this, and they came back with the same price for the Sealed Power rings as well. I don't know what's going on there.

I have always heard good about Clevite, especially the Clevite Kid!

Thanks!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I'd like to hear some other opinions on this. Something this far out o' whack must have a story behind it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Enginetech

Basically "White box" rebuilder parts

I have used these....Good stuff.

That huge price is BS.....THEY SHOULD CRAWL IN THE ENGINE BY THEMSELVES FOR THE BIG $$$$
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Enginetech

Basically "White box" rebuilder parts

I have used these....Good stuff.

That huge price is BS.....THEY SHOULD CRAWL IN THE ENGINE BY THEMSELVES FOR THE BIG $$$$
    I saw Enginetech in my searches, but never heard of them. Was a little skiddish on a name I'm not familiar with.

Casey

Enginetech is fine.

They are basically a distribution company.

They contract what they want to sell and have their name put on it.....

I just looked at the bearings for my SBC build....MADE IN ISRAEL

Hard to say where the parts all come from.....All contracted out....

Depending on what it is....may well come from one of the major manufactures spoken of in this thread....

The shop I used for boring my SBC also installed the cam bearings for me....I provided the bearings....He mentioned that he has used complete rebuild kits from Enginetech and never had any issues..

With these parts....you are not paying for the big name and fancy wrapper....

For sure....CLEVITE is a winner....but the $$$$$ are up there too.

I am using all "White box" parts in my 406 SBC build.....the cost savings are huge.....
    Most all commercial rebuilders go with "White box" to control the bottom line.

The bearings I got for the 406 are a steel backed aluminum.

Pretty much a matter of how much you want to spend $$$$ wise ..

One thing for sure....If anything hinky is showing up with stuff....The internet will display all the ugly flack......

I did a bit of snooping on the Enginetech name.....nothing came up the worried me.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Our 6.5 Project truck received the standard type piston rings (don't know the brand, except I know they weren't Sealed Power). That performance 6.5 ran for a long long time, had miserly oil consumption and the oil stayed clean for longer than any other 6.2/6.5 I'd owned. Jim