Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

I just pulled the 4544 pump off of my other 6.2 last night and noticed the thrust button can be pulled out completely from the front of the pump... my other DB2 4267 sitting on the bench doesn't seem to do this, albeit I didn't try to pull on it too hard. This one just slid right out. I don't have a lot of experience with these IPs. Is this normal? It was in my Suburban which ran great before I tore it apart. It was purchased new from US Diesel, the PO of the truck had it installed along with a new set of injectors less than a year before he sold it to me, I have all the receipts to back it up. I would like to use this unit for my build as it's a later model and has a less questionable history than the 4267 -just not sure if this would pose a problem or not. Any help is appreciated as always!

20210901_200710.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know if it's "normal" (according to design), but I wouldn't consider it abnormal. Most of them I've seen were like that. I wouldn't say they'd fall out, but the spring friction seemed to be the only thing holding them in. All of them were high mileage, if that means anything, and I don't recall any force needed to install into a new/reman pump. I'd be more concerned if they were too tight and didn't move freely. With the timing cover installed, it ain't going anywhere.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thank you Dmax, in that case I'm going to run it! I figured it might stay put with the timing cover on, but figured it was better to ask than find out the hard way. Haven't been around too many of these pumps yet. Appreciate the input!

Yes. Once the timing cover is installed, the stem is captured in the shaft. It wont' go anywhere.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com