Thread: 6.2 in an RV Low on Power

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
    ....Any chance there just isn't enough rubber touching the ground?
    Not a factor. You could have the entire chassis sitting on the ground, and it wouldn't make any difference. Sounds more like at least one failed battery, if you're seeing the voltage drop at the battery posts. A starter load enough to drop the voltage to 4V with healthy batteries would smoke the cables and/or connections in a few seconds. Continuous or repeated cranking with bad battery(ies) can damage the starter.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I wouldn’t have thought so but again, prior to putting it on stands to rebuild the rear brakes it was starting fine, now it’s not.
    I also noticed last night that, despite my voltmeter showing 12.3ish volts at the batteries, the dash voltage gauge isn’t showing anything, which it was working before. I had removed the gauge cluster last year to clean up contacts and see if the fuel & water temp gauge were faulty, and pretty much just plugged it back in just before working on the brakes two weekends ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
    despite my voltmeter showing 12.3ish volts at the batteries, the dash voltage gauge isn’t showing anything...
    You've got a couple of conflicting bits of information in the batteries drop to 4 volts on start attempt, and the dash gauge doesn't show any voltage ever.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    You've got a couple of conflicting bits of information in the batteries drop to 4 volts on start attempt, and the dash gauge doesn't show any voltage ever.
    How do you mean? My voltmeter shows voltage, the gauge on the dash doesn't. For some reason voltage is no longer making it to the gauge when it was working fine before. That being said, other gauges still function and the dash lights still work so its not a matter of no power is getting to cluster.