Thread: Activity

Default Activity

I'm guessing that there isn't to many out there with the L5P. If you have one lets get some discussion going. Pros and Cons.
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

There are a lot of them around here, and I know a bunch of friends and businesses with them. Not many problems, and not much talk. Love it or hate it, they're boring. The last 2 new GM vehicles I've had and 3 others in the family are/were boring. I'd really like to have some deep discussions about them. What shall we talk about? What isn't broken? Paint drying? It's great to see you here, Dennis. Break something, and the floor is yours.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Got cha Dmax. I can understand the few problems that Lp5 owners have. In the 72k miles on mine it has been just #3 glow plug. What really gets me is the poor fuel millage with all the worthless emissions crap they install. I clean the map and mass sensors and keep all the filters regularly changed but helps for only a while. I don't believe in overdriving my rides or abusing any machine but I would like to get some decent fuel millage while towing my toy hauler. (only 24 feet long). 10 to 11 mpg ridiculous.

One glow plug. Wow. That's rough. I've replaced exactly 8 in 21 years on my 2001, 6 of them in the last 3 years. I think 2 are still working originals.

Yeah, that's sucky mileage. Your economy includes the additional fuel used for DPF regen. The actual fuel mileage is not as bad, but it's still fuel you burned. Does it seem regens are too frequent or run longer than you think it should?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

First time I've dealt with def. Just thought that it is what it is. I can see on the instant milage screen when it regened that the read out takes a dump. I have a Banks Idash monitor without Derringer so can see a ton perimeters. A common problem with the L5P is the shooting up od the Map sensor. It's easy to remove but to clean thoroughly. I'm replacing mine with an OEM sensor and a S&B spacer in hopes of improving the milage.

Sooting up of Map sensor. I hate the so called auto correct

If you see frequent sooting of the MAP sensor, the problem is the EGR. EGR issues are very common, especially when power-adders are used. If it's operating at less-than-ideal, it can increase soot loading in the DPF, which in turn increases DPF regen cycles. The EGR can be cleaned, but it's quite a bit more involved than what you're doing currently. The MAP sensor is a simple pressor sensor, so getting it further away from the intake track with the spacer should allow it to continue doing what it should while reducing its exposure to the sooted gas. It may not cure the issue entirely, but should extend cleaning cycles, perhaps a great deal.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

The MAP sensor in these trucks is also the intake air temp sensor. There is a bulb within the cage as well. I cleaned mine but didn't realize that the pressure port was clogged tight. I only noticed this when I received the new sensor. I can see that it would be very easy to damage the sensor if caution wasn't taken to clean the port out. I'll see what can be done to get the port thoroughly cleaned and with what type of tool can be used so as not to cause damage. I think most people who clean there sensors do as I did and just squirt electrical cleaner on them and call it good. I now know better. I didn't get the port cleaned. Net zero.

The MAF sensor also has a "bulb on a wire", but is usually much easier to clean, only needing a good spray. Use care cleaning the MAP sensor. The spray cleaners are OK, but poking around in it with more than an acid brush is a bad idea. If you need to break up caked soot, use a drop or two of kerosene or #2 and an acid brush, followed by electronics cleaner spray or rubbing alcohol to dry out the petro. Don't use brake cleaners (although it is tempting), as they can attack plastics and potting compounds. If you have more than one MAP sensor on hand, just keep one clean and ready to drop in as needed to minimize downtime.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I got a new OEM (not after market) MAP sensor and the S&B spacer installed and have taken it for a drive. I think there is a difference. Hard to tell. The real test will be with the trailer. My around town millage is between 15 and 20. So we will see. I know how fragile sensors are so take the appropriate precautions. Time will tell.

Update on the MAP sensor and spacer change and install. Seat of the pants feel maybe a slight plus fuel millage change that's all. Not enough to brag on. I have ordered the Banks Derringer to go with the Super gauge that I already have. I have watched a boat load of Banks videos and feel that this is a good move. The gauge now shows a bunch of PIDs and will show even more after the Derringer is hooked up. As for fuel millage increase while towing maybe but I'm not going to hold my breath although it would be nice.