Thread: Tires!

Thumbs up Tires!

I recently replaced a set aging Cooper tires that had a somewhat aggressive tread pattern with a set of Toyo Open Country H/T II tires that have a 10 ply rating and a more highway oriented tread pattern. Both the old and the new tires were sized 265/75R16. I really disliked the Cooper tires because of the road noise, and had to have something quieter. I bought a set of Michelin LTX tires for this truck back some years ago that I liked, but... they are more expensive and are not stocked by our local tire shops.

The Toyo tires are highway oriented, but I suspect the edges and siping in the tread pattern will provide a good grip on our coming winter roads. Best of all is that the tires are virtually silent at any speed. Take your foot off the go pedal, and all you hear is a little wind noise around the cab - no tire noise. The humming drone that so annoyed me is totally absent, and the balance of these tires is perfect. Total out-the-door cost at our local Les Schwab was just over $1100.

When the truck is unloaded, I run 60-psi in the rear and 70 in the front, to produce a flat contact patch with the road. I'll adjust the pressure as needed to produce a flat wear pattern. And, if I use this truck to tow/haul, I'll adjust the tire pressure to better suit the load.

You must have had the Cooper SSTs. The ST isn't as noisy. I had the Michelin MS2 and they were very quiet.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

I ran the Tokyo’s and got 60k out of them I ran at least 5 sets of them, then a Les Swab guy talked me into there high mileage tires, they won’t be going the distance. Not even close.
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake