Thread: Can you change the oil too frequently?

Default [Dr. Lee] Can you change the oil too frequently?

I ran across this post on another forum. Sounds like bunk, to me. Anyone else have an opinion?

(I think the poster's primary language is not English.)

As for too frequent oil change, it is doing harm to the engine.
    Modern oil (as of last 40 years) do have big dose of detergents and chemicals design to wash the residues and counteract engine chemistry.
    The additive pack is wearable and is design for certain mileage, when initial overdose will wear to perfect balance, than to too low balance and at some point the oil should be changed.
    When you change the oil before the pack wears to perfect balance, you are treating your engine to constant overdose of detergents and anti-acids.
    For comparison, the same diesel engines who in cars and SUV are for initial 10k miles oil changes, in Sprinters have 20K oil changes.
    That is due to much bigger oil pan, so the chem pack last in them much longer. Oil base itself is not wearable.
    Last edited by JohnC; 01-10-2022 at 10:34.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Bunk. I've heard it before, and it's never been proved that I've found. I think it's backwards, actually. The base oil IS "wearable". Oil and additive packages break down over time and use. Heat, contamination, pressure, and shear, are the causes. It's no secret. Too frequent changes requires more product and disposal, but the only damage is to your wallet and, perhaps, the environment.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

For a diesel engine, soot accumulation is the primary reason to change the engine oil. Soot is an abrasive, and the motor oil API certification for diesel engine use is based in-part on that oil's ability to deal with soot - hold soot particles in suspension. I agree with Greg on this.