Thread: Engine replacement thoughts

Default Engine replacement thoughts

I bought my truck new in 06, I have 415,000 miles on it and would like to have opinions and thoughts
    On replacing the engine..I have changed the oil every 10,000 miles using Amzoil.
    the truck is in great shape.
    What I want to know is should I have the engine rebuilt and who does that in Oregon?
    Or put in a rebuilt engine and who sells them ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Is there something wrong with yours?

If not, other than the miles and time, there's no guarantee that rebuilding or replacing will be any better than what you have now. In fact, I've seen more people end up with less than what they had, or a list of new problems, than not. Simple, traditional tests can show you the condition of the engine, such as compression, blow-by, leak-down, and cooling system. If it runs well, has good compression, and isn't trading fluids, it's probably better left alone. There's nothing wrong with refreshing some items, such as any rubber or consumables under the hood (belt, hoses, thermostats, etc.). Fixing something that ain't broke is almost always bad policy. If the engine or powertrain has you concerned, there's much more to worry about. The entire chassis is as old as anything else.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I’m thinking I’m up agaiNst the end of it’s life..I’m 75 years old, I want to leave it for my wife that loves the truck and is 42 years old..
    It doesn’t use any oil, oil psi is as it was when new...just thinking ahead is all.
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

I completely understand. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an evaluation. However, the cost of an overhaul/replacement would go a LONG way toward maintenance items, or a complete refresh (outside the long block) of maintenance items. A new/used/rebuilt engine will also need maintenance service and items, probably best at the time of replacement. The need for those items is the same, now and later. These engines are very long lived. Failures are almost always caused by some outside influence (those maintenance items, or aftermarket tinkering). I think you're much better off taking the money that would have been spent on overhaul, and drop it in a secure, liquid investment (CD, money market, etc). The return will cover some regular maintenance, and will be there if the big bill comes.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Thumbs up How long will the Duramax last?

https://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/750kduramaxc.htm

751,837 mile Duramax... It got a new water pump at 711,000 miles.

I photographed this truck a few years ago at our local Chevy dealership... Aside from peripherals and gaskets, I don't think an individual (other than an RV hauler) could wear one out. This is based on what I've seen for cylinder wear in high mile Duramax engines (induction hardened cylinder walls).

But, for those who insist... contact Rob at www.demtengines.com for Duramax engine rebuilds. I visited his shop last year. Well equipped, and he even had spare parts for sale... Need an aluminum head? He's got them.

So, buy a water pump and put it on the shelf and spend the rest on a nice vacation with your wife!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Portland Engine Rebuilders – Portland Oregon Automotive Machine Shop

I have heard nothing but good things about these guys. If you're in a rush, don't bother, but it sounds like quality is what they're interested in. I believe they're about 6 months out.

Well someone said they seen a original Duramax with 700k+ miles that gives me some relief
    I’m old and my wife would like to keep this truck when I’m history..
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake