Thread: 98 GMC Suburban Revival

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 98 GMC Suburban Revival

Hi All
    I need a road trip vehicle for a spring road trip which will include visiting a friend that has a 100+ kilometer unmaintained driveway.
    So i chose the diesel Suburban that had been left behind by the PO,with plans to retrieve at a later date.I had given him a pickup in trade,that he was supposed to return in similar shape.He passed away and his family did not want to retrieve the Suburban.
    I did a quick assessment when i cleaned out a pickup load of cloths from it a couple years ago and got it running.
    The cat was plugged solid,i removed it and it ran.Brakes were gone so i did not drive it much.
    At the moment it needs complete brake job,alternator wasn't charging and running like crap.

So i am looking for ideas on the crap running part.

It's not throwing a code,but acting like it's still stuffed up.Lots of black smoke and no power.
    To get it running a few years ago i had to wire in the lift pump,relocated the PMD from the intake to in front of the left battery behind a hole in the rad support.
    Online last night got me a price of $1600.00 for master cyl,rear shoes,drums wheel cyl,seals,hardware,front rotors,pads,calipers and alternator.Delivery March 4th.Going to see what prices are like with my account local.
    I hope to get a few weeks driving before the road trip.
    Interior needs to come out for a good cleaning.
    Thanks for any insite and advice as i move forward.
    Thomas98 sub.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews