Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 98 GMC Suburban Revival

Finally a smokeless Burb...
    Got everything bolted on and buttoned up last night and went for a drive
    Idles smooth, starts nice,has good oil pressure.So far nothing leaking.
    Time to get some miles on it and get a feeling of dependability from it.
    I did end up with on wiring plug that i can't find the place to plug it it,it branches out about a foot past the plug for the temp sensor.No codes or lights.plug.jpg
    Hopefully putting miles on this Burb will be all the attention it needs for a while.
    Diesel is $6.86 a US gallon at USD.
    Thats to our useless leaders,thanks for nothing.
    On ward to my next project,which is yard cleaning for the summer,my goal is to remove 22 vehicles in 2022,Number 1 was gone a month ago before the ground got muddy. Hopefully more sell then get scraped but i doubt that will happen.I have a 70 Ford crew cab which is headed to Alberta and a 74 Buick that is heading to Whitehorse which is great that was one i thought would end up at the landfill.
    Thanks again to all who chimed in on this nightmare project,your help kept me heading in the right directions.Had i known about the bad cylinder the burb would still be sitting in the dead line.
    Lots of time and money invested in this...
    But it's alive and a functioning vehicle again,so that's a win
    The Diesel Page Rules
    Attached Images Attached Images
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Great deal....Glad the rig is running well.

Not sure on that plug.
    I do not have a schematic for the 1998 year model rigs.

The harness on the engine is fairly bomb proof...as in the plugs are such that they are all different and IIRC can't be mixed up.

You said the wire is past the temp sensor ??? Is this the gauge sender or the one on the coolant cross over "Coolant temp switch" ??????

If the beast is not complaining....AS IN SES LAMP LIT....Then its not a big issue....

OBD2 stuff is not very forgiving when it comes to wires not hooked up...
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

IS THIS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE ENGINE ??????

IF IT IS...CHECK THE POWER STEERING PUMP NEAR THE REAR.....There is a pressure control valve there ... "Variable power steering"

The Red plug...2 pin and the Red clip are the right color.

The EVO solenoid may have a short pig tail, or the plug may go into the solenoid itself.

https://d2npgj2tt6o4b9.cloudfront.ne...26069031_1.JPG
    Last edited by Robyn; 05-17-2022 at 07:04.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Not completely finished as there are always a few things that surface...
    The first time i went to open the hood after it was running the hood release pivot broke off,that usually happens at -40 when you need to boost a truck
    Oil supply for the turbo is weeping and making a mess,small mess so far
    And a hint of diesel smell and sings of smoke from the turbo side which is probably a diesel weep of some sort
    Good power,when you put your foot in it it rolls coal,which i imagine is the Kennedy tune.A Holset may get the call after this last work is a fading memory.
    Now that i am not trying to diagnose the engine while driving it...some other issues are being noticed like the steering is a bit loose so a swap of the steering box will be on the list of To Do's,a little herding down the road is required to stay between the lines
    Start up went by the book,left the glow plugs out,jumped the fuel pump relay and filled the filter housing,then cranked for 30 sec's a couple times saw the diesel mist installed the glow plugs and down pipe,went through a glow plug sequence and it fired right up.
    It was a great sound to hear,and did i mention No Smoke
    I will check around the pump for a plug.
    Usually wiring harnesses kinda just fall into place,lay them out and the memory of the wires usually direct where they go.
    I have looked all around the 12 inches that this wire goes in all directions.
    No lights on in the dash so it's not a critical wire,but it did come from somewhere as the connector is clean.
    It was a group effort to get this Burb back on the road,Thanks Everyone Again.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Good power,when you put your foot in it it rolls coal,which i imagine is the Kennedy tune.A Holset may get the call after this last work is a fading memory.
    Is it "rolling coal" all the time you have your foot down, or just at first until the turbo spools up? The stock GM turbos spool up pretty quickly and then most of the smoke should clear up. If it smokes all the time, the wastegate is not functioning properly and is allowing boost to dump and not build up.

My HX35 seems to have a bit more turbo lag than the stock GM4 did. Much more smoke at initial throttle up until the turbo spools up. It's like "rolling coal" for a few seconds until the turbo catches up. Mostly noticeable when towing.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Hi Casey
    It rolls as long as you have your foot in it to the floor,clearing up once you start to build speed.If accelerating with just a bit of pedal it will accelerate with clear exhaust.I was suspecting it may not be functioning properly.Still no lights being activated on the dash,which made me think it might not be acting up.
    Found the diesel leak,not the worst place like under the intake.Second worst #6 injector return line.Fender liner and turbo came off again.One of the parts on back-order was a new return hose kit.This line got by my inspection.The curse struck again and had it on the worst injector to get at.
    I will see if i can play with the waste gate and get the coal sorted.
    Thanks All
    Thomas

Update...
    Vacuum pump was bad and the line from the solenoid to the turbo had leaks.
    The line actually had wear from the loom.A bunch of holes wore into it from the inside ridges of the loom.
    It's amazing that this thing actually ran and moved on it's own at all.
    The List
    Plugged Cat
    Security System glitch
    Corrupted computer
    Wore out Injection Pump
    Bad Injectors
    Valve edge broke off on cyl 7
    Bad Vacuum pump and lines
    Had i known about the valve i would not have invested my time in this truck at the time,maybe never.
    Runs real good now,and in Roadkill fashion it even does burnouts so that's a win.
    The fuel gauge isn't reading right,shows about a third when it starts running out of fuel.Happened twice so i am convinced the guage is wrong.Filled it up and it went way over full.
    At the prices of diesel here it took an even $300.00 to fill it Hopefully by the time this tank is done all drivability issues will be ironed out.
    I have a handful of PMD's to roadtest to see if they are any good.My thoughts are if they don't do any weird stuff for a week they should be ok.
    Filled 1/2 tank on my Kenworth last week to do my container run.$600.00 to fill one tank when the gauge was reading under 1/2.When i got back the guage was back to the same reading.Round trip is 320 miles.
    Things are going to get expensive soon.
    the excrement is piling up and is going to hit the fan
    Stock up on dry goods while you can.

Glad to hear that the Burb is getting up to par.

Did you find a home for the Loose Red electrical connector ???
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Not to many things on the list anymore
    the orphaned red plug is just hanging around,but so far nobody misses it.
    Took some play out of the steering box yesterday,the wandering on the road is almost gone,i will give it another 1/8 turn today.
    Will have to look into the fuel gauge,that is a bit of an issue.
    My next victim for the scrap heap is donating a hood release,headlights to try cleaning the lens's and rims,just need to find a couple GMC hubcaps,and maybe a gauge if that is the issue.

That Red plug should plug into the power steering pump on its rear face in the EVO solenoid.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

So a week + and the Burb seems to be happy being a daily driver,no road trips yet.Been hoping for a service call from Uhaul to change a trailer tire 150 miles away or so.
    A question for Robyn...
    Where do i start on trying to diagnose the AC.After a week without a snow fall summer is here and it's hot out.The AC does not blow cold.
    It's been too long without working on it ,i need to fix the final things so i can move on.
    Thanks ALL

If the AC clutch does not engage when the switch is turned on..

Low on charge....Or leaked all out.

Get the charging harness hooked up and see wassup....

If the pressures are equal and above 50 psi then it may be the clutch switch on the accumulator is bad....

Check those by jumpering the two wires in the plug.

If it starts the compressor the switch is junk

If the charge is really low the switch will keep the clutch from working.

A leaking hose. or ?????
    A compressor that has a shaft seal leak
    A compressor with a leaky case O ring seals
    If the system is nearly flat....add some 134a to get some pressure and then go after the hose connections, compressor and such with the sniffer....

The compressors used on these can have case section O ring leaks.

See what ya find and let us know......

Any and all hoses and connections can be suspect.
    Condenser fittings too....Look for signs of oil seepage .....this is a dead give away that you have a refrigerant leak....

The snooper will ferret leaks out quick...

If you need to open the system and replace parts, hoses and such.

Hook up a vacuum pump and suck the system into a vacuum of 30 inches for at least30 minutes to remove all moisture and then with the system still in a vacuum....add 134a and get the compressor running.

Continue to add 134 a until the air temp at the dash vents are below 40 degrees.

Watch low side pressure....

Do not overfill the system.

If you need to open the system....replace the accumulator and add the proper oil....Should be synthetic refrigerant oil...about 6 ounces into the accumulator....then install in the system....
    PAG 100 OIL is common on 134a system
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks Robyn
    When i get a chance i will see what's up.
    Today i go get a load of 3 sea cans from Haines Alaska
    Nice day for a drive,hope the border agents are in a good mood.

That would be a good thing......
    Snotty border agents would suck...
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

No luck with the Border Guards this time...
    Told i have to quarantine for 14 days
    So i will probably get arrested if i don't find a lawyer that can be an interpreter.
    If i stay at home i will be fined by the federal government because an appointment made 6 months ago to get my pump meter's re-certified as required by law is this Saturday,I have already received two notices that the meters are due.Next is a fine then they come and close my business.
    If i continue to do the things i have to to keep my business operational i will be fined and probably arrested.
    Stupid rules by stupid people.
    I spent less than 1 hour with my feet on US soil,that was on a freight dock by the ocean.2 hours were spent driving on US pavement.Aprox 3 hrs spent inside the US border.
    Stay tuned

Finally put a few highway miles on last night.
    Had to run a set of keys out to meet my GF partway between out town and the big smoke.
    30 miles at 70-80 one way and the same back home.
    No hicups no leaks since it fired up.
    Saw a Momma Grizzly and cub at 12:47 AM still light enough to drive without lights.Living up here you kinda take the daylight for granted in the summer.But then once in a while it hits you while you are out in the light at midnight.
    Land of the Midnight Sun

Glad the rig is "Gittenerdone" A good place for that piston, rather than on my shelf for another 10 years.
    I have only seen a Griz once....Back in 1970 up in Glacier Park MT.
    Griz was on one side of a small lake....We were on the other.....We left, lake was way too small and Griz knew were were there....
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Glad you're back on the road! "70-80" sounded fast... till I remembered this is kph...

I'm ok not seeing grizzlies...
    The Burb is in miles,empty roads that i have traveled a million times.
    2000-2300 RPM