Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 98 GMC Suburban Revival

Are there still Radio Shack stores?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Update...
    No joy yet.
    I was able to get the tumbler out with and old key and a pick.Watched a YouTube and got it out.
    Installed the housing and it resulted in getting the same results.
    I didn't have time to remove the BCM to see if there was anything obvious wrong.When i did look at it it looked untouched from the factory.
    What are the chances that two housings from different vehicles would have the same issue.Slim to none...
    Not much time today to play with it.
    I am going to assume i will be looking at BCM options.
    Thanks Again for all the help,i am learning about the trucks systems so it's not all wasted time.My 98 K3500 wrecker was an electrical nightmare with all the wiring that had been butchered in from it years of being a wrecker,plus all the extra wrecker stuff.It always had electrical issues so i converted it to mechanical injection.
    This Burb's wiring is untouched so once the issue is found i am confident it will be a reliable rig.PMD issues aside they are easily dealt with.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

No Radio Shacks up here anymore.
    The housing had the same part number,came out of a 99 c1500,i did check a few other trucks in the range that Maverick sent and the third truck i tried had the cylinder housing with wires.
    Just got a call that confirms my day is used up.Meet with my bookkeeper for month end,and year end at 11 then a car recovery,lady passed out while driving about 30 miles from here,then meeting at 5 for Canadian Rangers,a voluntary reserve force of the Army.I get my new gun and ammo today,since we formed this group 35 years ago they have been promising us new guns.We were issued 303's and 200 rounds of ammo a year. I get to keep my 303 as a personal gun,yea.
    I wonder if Putin accelerated the procedure.We were supposed to get "trained" on the new Rugar 308 stainless guns.Now they are forgoing the training,Hmmm.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

303? As in, .303 British? Wow. That's 2 turns of centuries gone by. Are any sidearms an option? Considering it's Canada, they'd probably be cap/ball dueling pistols. At least our CMP (Civil Marksmanship Program) is issuing (offering for purchase) only 115 year old guns/ammo. Now, if your .303 was a Lewis, I'd be impressed. Turret-mount that sucker on your Sopwith Camel!
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Update...
    No joy yet.
    I was able to get the tumbler out with and old key and a pick.Watched a YouTube and got it out.
    Installed the housing and it resulted in getting the same results.
    I didn't have time to remove the BCM to see if there was anything obvious wrong.When i did look at it it looked untouched from the factory.
    What are the chances that two housings from different vehicles would have the same issue.Slim to none...
    Not much time today to play with it.
    I am going to assume i will be looking at BCM options.
    Thanks Again for all the help,i am learning about the trucks systems so it's not all wasted time.My 98 K3500 wrecker was an electrical nightmare with all the wiring that had been butchered in from it years of being a wrecker,plus all the extra wrecker stuff.It always had electrical issues so i converted it to mechanical injection.
    This Burb's wiring is untouched so once the issue is found i am confident it will be a reliable rig.PMD issues aside they are easily dealt with.
    Yeah, not much chance 2 ign. sets have the same issue. Another TDP member just went through something similar with a 2007. Parked it, came back later, dead. It was the BCM. Simple repair, and not too costly. What was costly was the diagnostic time getting to that point, and getting the part.

If you have another similar vehicle with a compatible BCM, I'd suggest trying it. Easier yet, if it's the same vehicle the ign. set was sourced (no relearn junk).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Default Does a 98 have a BCM?

Been following this thread - sorry you are having this issue. I don't think this era of trucks have a separate BCM. I believe the passlock is handled by PCM. I have tuning software purchased years ago from Wester's Garage (they are/were in Canada). I remember passlock being a switch you can turn on/off in the software for reflashing the PCM. I don't remember trying to turn it off on the 98 and 99 trucks had, so I can't say for sure if a used PCM from a non passlock truck would work. If I still had those trucks, I would try a reflash with it turned off. If Wester's is still in business, you might contact them. Kennedy Diesel might know as well- I think he uses(d) Wester's software too.
    2006 Chevy K2500 LLY Duramax/Allison Crew Cab!
    1996 Chevy C2500 6.5 auto Ext. Cab LB

It has a separate, physical, BCM.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I've got an Enfield .303 that I understand my FIL brought back from WW II. Not sure how as he served in the Pacific...

(This is the third thread I've gone completely off topic on this week...)
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    303? As in, .303 British? Wow. That's 2 turns of centuries gone by. Are any sidearms an option? Considering it's Canada, they'd probably be cap/ball dueling pistols. At least our CMP (Civil Marksmanship Program) is issuing (offering for purchase) only 115 year old guns/ammo. Now, if your .303 was a Lewis, I'd be impressed. Turret-mount that sucker on your Sopwith Camel!
    Here is a picture of My new gun gifted to me by the Government of Canada,i have been using it 30 years on snow machines at -40 ect. Always sprayed it liberally with silicon spray and kept the muzzle taped.Won a couple shooting awards with it.303.jpg

Here is the new Rugar 308 kit Cost supposedly $4800.00
    I don't think i will live long enough to get one to call my own..308 kit.jpg308.jpg308 tool.jpg

Anyhow back to the Burb
    I pulled what i assumed was the BCM out of the Burb burb 1.jpg then went to pull the one out of the pickup the housing came out of.It didn't have one.
    I then Goggled the numbers which come up as a tcase module.Which makes sence the pickup didn't have one as it's two wheel drive.
    I looked around under the dash of the Burb and didn't see any other module type things.
    Is what i pulled the BCM?

I did some snooping.

Seems we have been chasing the wind on this one.
    The GMT 400 trucks had a BCM in 1999 and 2000

The 98 has a "Theft deterrent module" This is located behind the glove box near the passenger air bag. (Passlock module)
    The box can be green or black

Yank the glove box out and see whatcha can scope out

Here is one

A couple options

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...v-w6Ydk3L9A_Nv

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiyyuP-iq_2AhUcGK0GHYQFBGAYABAEGgJwdg&ohost=www.google.co m&cid=CAASEuRoRCUkoj6hSRVG-NvZqdxL2A&sig=AOD64_2fbiCJ12svkxZR6GDxdLRaS2jwsA&c type=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjY1dj-iq_2AhVUD0QIHSM_CmMQ9aACegQIARA-&adurl=

Last edited by Robyn; 03-05-2022 at 07:00.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks Robyn
    Off on another treasure hunt.Will report back.
    I should have time for it today,maybe come back with some news.
    Thomas

The rig you scarfed the switch housing from should have the module.....Maybe it is a good one.....
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    I did some snooping.

Seems we have been chasing the wind on this one.
    The GMT 400 trucks had a BCM in 1999 and 2000

The 98 has a "Theft deterrent module" This is located behind the glove box near the passenger air bag. (Passlock module)
    The box can be green or black

Yank the glove box out and see whatcha can scope out

Here is one

A couple options

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...v-w6Ydk3L9A_Nv

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiyyuP-iq_2AhUcGK0GHYQFBGAYABAEGgJwdg&ohost=www.google.co m&cid=CAASEuRoRCUkoj6hSRVG-NvZqdxL2A&sig=AOD64_2fbiCJ12svkxZR6GDxdLRaS2jwsA&c type=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjY1dj-iq_2AhVUD0QIHSM_CmMQ9aACegQIARA-&adurl=

1998-2001 were transition model years, and the SUV's seem to be the bastards. The Escalade XL (Suburban) was introduced, supposedly, in 1999, but I have a friend with a 1998, and not the only one I've seen. We replaced his BCM years ago (failed for another reason). I recall OP confirmed the BCM was there. If it has Auto 4x4, that module is likely the transfer case control. At any rate, substitute TDM for BCM. They're the same, as it applies to this problem. The difference as Robyn pointed out is the location, behind the passenger airbag. If you have another TDM, and the part numbers match, you can simply swap it out. If the part numbers are different, it's hit/miss it will work, but worth a try. There is, supposedly, a 1/10 chance it will work without a relearn, but a relearn procedure is required otherwise, so expect the same start/fail it's doing now until relearned. However, the Security Lamp behavior should be different, if the problem is the TDM.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Hi All
    The saga continues.
    I did find the modual that was referenced as the passlock unit in a couple videos including the one Robyn referenced.
    It lives right under the CD player or storage spot to the right of the power port/ash tray.you can just see it from under the dash.I exchanged it with the one from the pickup that the housing came from.
    Nothing changed,tried a Utube trick to "permanently remove the system and that didn't work i suspect it may have been because of the low batteries at the time.
    The video shows hooking a wire to the purple wire going to the modual and grounding it out as you crank.The truck should start and while running disconcerting the modual is supposed to disable it for good.
    One of the new batteries had a broken top so i sent it back,replacement will be here today.Maybe with fresh batteries something will work out.
    The security light never changed stays on continuously still.

ARRRRRRRGH
    I was hoping for a nice quick fix....
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

If it continues after getting full power to everything, it has to be a harness/connector issue. Something isn't connecting to something else. I'm sure you've checked ALL the fuses for the fourteenth time. Fifteenth time is a charm.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

A SNOW MOUSE ????? A rodent rearranging the wire insulation maybe ???
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I will install the new batteries and try the relearns again,as well as the 15th check of fuses.
    I striped the interior out of the truck and surprisingly never saw any rodent turds or nests,just the signs of a mess made by a human.
    I have been hoping for an easy fix,still hopeful.The truck is in such original shape,same as the wiring.So far all i have seen that isn't stock is wires for the driving lights.There are holes under the knee panel that look like a trailer brake control may have been installed.Plus the one wire i bared of for the Utube solution.
    The wires and a the electrical ignition switch look good,but maybe there is a broken wire because of the tilt function.