Thread: Cheap Dipstick Fix

Default Cheap Dipstick Fix

After many years of service the handle of my dipstick separated from the blade. I ordered the only 6.5 dipstick available (van application) figuring I could trim to length but found it incompatible with the dipstick tube on the motor(5/16" VS 3/8" diameters). I liked the molded ring grip cap configuration of the new dipstick and decided to rework the cap to make it work with 5/16" diameter tube. I returned the van dipstick and purchased the cheapest replacement dipstick I could find. Dorman 917-008 was less than $10 on Amazon, Napa # 819-2200 is the same. I drove the 1/16 diameter pin out that attaches the blade to the cap and removed the blade. You will need to reuse the pin and change the length to slightly less than 5/16". To reduce the size of the cap from 3/8" to 5/16" diameter I used a 5/16 ID sleeve bearing heated it with a propane torch and pushed the cap into the hot bushing to resize the plastic. Make life a little easier and put the pin (after shortening it) back in the dipstick cap before resizing it, otherwise hot plastic will fill in the hole and will have to be dug out. The original blade is twice as thick but still slides into the cap and drive the pin to lock the blade. If your original blade was broken off you will have to drill a new hole for the pin. The o-ring groove in the new dipstick cap will be lost when resized but the dipstick cap is still snug in the tube. Might not pass EPA regulations but works for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    97 Tahoe / 6.2 .030 Over, GM4 Turbo, Mechanical IP, Flow Cooler WP, K47 Air Box
    04 F-250 Cummins Powered

Great fix
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY