Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 6.2 Redblock Theory

Interesting metallurgy patent info.
    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...1a37c149b8.pdf

General Motors has more Patents then I care to read lol!
    https://patents.justia.com/company/g...-motors?page=3

A reputable company that deals with US patents I will call and ask some GM questions.
    https://www.candcip.com/metallurgy

Recycled steel and various other metals can be used to make a myriad of products.

Cast iron is a more generic term

There are many types of cast-iron alloys, but the four primary categories include white cast-iron, gray cast-iron, ductile cast iron, and malleable cast-iron.

In order to get a consistent "Batch" at the foundry the materials have to be a well managed blend of several given substances.....

Bumpers off a few Toyota pickup's, a handful of rail road track and sundry cast brackets from ancient tractors is not gonna cut it...

Repeatable mixtures of the required elements in huge quantity are required.

I do believe most recycled materials are used for more mundane items.....A batch of fenders made from scrap car bodies.....VERY POSSIBLE

We have an outfit locally that takes in huge quantities of scrap steel....They turn out rebar and steel T posts (The green/white fence posts)
    They ship out huge rolls of rebar every day...

Steel sheets and such can be made from a lot of recycled materials.....

Engine blocks have to be a bit tighter on the mix...Steel fenders can't be made into cast iron....

MY OTHER POST ABOUT WHAT WAS USED WAS A BIT OF TONGUE IN CHEEK..
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Recycled steel and various other metals can be used to make a myriad of products.

Cast iron is a more generic term

There are many types of cast-iron alloys, but the four primary categories include white cast-iron, gray cast-iron, ductile cast iron, and malleable cast-iron.

In order to get a consistent "Batch" at the foundry the materials have to be a well managed blend of several given substances.....

Bumpers off a few Toyota pickup's, a handful of rail road track and sundry cast brackets from ancient tractors is not gonna cut it...

Repeatable mixtures of the required elements in huge quantity are required.

I do believe most recycled materials are used for more mundane items.....A batch of fenders made from scrap car bodies.....VERY POSSIBLE

We have an outfit locally that takes in huge quantities of scrap steel....They turn out rebar and steel T posts (The green/white fence posts)
    They ship out huge rolls of rebar every day...

Steel sheets and such can be made from a lot of recycled materials.....

Engine blocks have to be a bit tighter on the mix...Steel fenders can't be made into cast iron....

MY OTHER POST ABOUT WHAT WAS USED WAS A BIT OF TONGUE IN CHEEK..
    Ok cool! I was feeding your excitement :-)

Yup.....:d:d
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

The owner of Twisted Steel Performance most graciously donated a lot of P400 block material for my metallurgy experiment lab testing. Definitely more then 5 grams! Thank you soooo much man!

Here’s the block identification.

The drill sample location:

The material in the test tube:

I only have 2 more blocks I need to get material for before I send the samples to the lab for testing. Soooo exciting!

Which blocks are on your hit list?
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Which blocks are on your hit list?
    When my blazer is out of the shop, I’ll get a sample from its Optimizer and a sample from customers 85 6.2 block after I pull it. Just progress is slow because parts are on back order.

Just scored a free 599 engine complete
    Is it one that you wanted to test?Attachment 6631
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

The pic didn't loadIMG_1974.jpgIMG_1974.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Just scored a free 599 engine complete
    Is it one that you wanted to test?Attachment 6631
    No. I’m good! Think I have all I need here soon. Don’t wanna pay more then $1200 on tests lol. What are your plans for that 99?

Pull it apart soon to see what is savable.
    It was sitting out in the weather for quite a while,water was leaking out when i winched it up my rollback.
    I hope i can salvage more than the injection system.
    Hopefully the block and crank are salvageable.A bore job will probably be called for.

Just an update. Still waiting on more samples. Should have what I need after I am done building an Optimizer.

Hi
    Good to see you again
    Merry xmas
    I have another 599 block in my shop to try and save
    Came out of the 94 i am dismantaling