Thread: New Fuel Lines?

Question New Fuel Lines?

Can anyone speak to the differences between the gasser and diesel fuel lines (tank to filter) for a GMT400?

I'd believe that they are completely different, but the online pictures seem at least somewhat similar.

I'm having a hard time finding diesel lines, but gasser lines are readily available - including stainless. A few years ago I replaced the lines on the K2500 and was able to find lines easily. The lines on the Yukon are now weeping (thanks, winter road salt) and need to be replaced. Prebent lines would make for less downtime than working out my own from scratch. I don't know if the current lack of options is due to the age of the vehicle or supply chain issues.

Any idea on the gasser lines? Or resources for diesel lines?

Much appreciated!
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

GM cleaned house after their reorganisation a few years ago

Parts for nearly all of the older stuff went away

The gasser uses a mid pressure pump and lines in the 94 year.
    TBI I assume.....

Here in the NW ...these could be scared up readily at the U PULLIT YARD and in good shape too.

Finding new old stock may be only a dream........

IF IT WERE MINE......

I wound locate the area in the rear floor that is over the fuel pump in the tank....

Cut an access hole (That that the part cut out can be easily replaced and sealed up) Then get at the line connections and start building lines forward from that point....

It is a nasty job....But getting the tank straps off after years of Salt will be worse and make even more work when stuff breaks off.....

Standard 3/8" flared steel tube is available in long lengths.

Another option is to use Field serviceable #6 aeroquip hydraulic hose and snake it into the area and secure it to the original lines.

Adapt the fittings to whatever will secure the line to fuel tight status.

The line I speak of is steel cover over the polymer inner hose with a fabric outer layer.....

The fittings are easily installed with standard wrenches.

Simply unhook the existing lines and move them over a tad...Lay the new line (hose) in and grab a bunch of tie wraps and secure...

Not as pretty as OEM but this fix will last and be about as easy as it is gonna get....

28 years of SALT has done its evil work....

Then after you are done you will have an access hole available to access the tank pump

I have done this fix on a couple rigs.....You can do a sweet job easily and not have to fight things.....Just be careful when cutting the floor...not to cut the lines....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPLcJY9BBhY&t=31s
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

The lines I installed on the K2500 were not OEM and were stainless.

I was able to unbolt the bed and lift it slightly to access the tank. The hardest part was getting the lines from the frame rail up through the tranny tunnel to the firewall. I was able to unbolt the cab and lift it slightly to get the job done. That's going to be a pain on the Yukon, though.

I've got a local hose shop I use for the hydraulics on the equipment, so I'm sure they can put together whatever I need.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423